Why become a member? ×

Another bass tutor advice question

jim_bass

I've been giving some free Bass lessons recently to a friends daughter and it got me thinking about doing some paid lessons to earn a bit more money, but I'm not really sure where to start.

I've been playing bass for about 15 years and whist I have played in various bands over years, I've never really had any formal lessons myself or concentrated on my theory.

In an attempt to rectify this, I've been working trough my music theory grades and am on grade 2. Although I've not actually sat them exams yet.

How important is it to have the grades before I start teaching and what level should I aim to get to.

Also is there some kind of body for bass tutors, a friend of mine is registered to teach drums with a website called drumsense. Not sure if there is something for bass that is worth doing.

[quote name='jim_bass' post='939160' date='Aug 29 2010, 07:56 AM']In an attempt to rectify this, I've been working trough my music theory grades and am on grade 2. Although I've not actually sat them exams yet.

How important is it to have the grades before I start teaching and what level should I aim to get to.

Also is there some kind of body for bass tutors, a friend of mine is registered to teach drums with a website called drumsense. Not sure if there is something for bass that is worth doing.[/quote]

I don't know of anything like Drumsense for bass. Basically all Drumsense teachers use the same body of material fairly systematically-it's
a decent idea,but not something I'd personally go for as I prefer a more individual approach.

As far as Grades and stuff,I don't have any grades at all,but have comfortably taught grade 8 of both Rockschool and RGT. What level should
you aim for? I'd never settle for being anything less than better than I am now. If someone wanted to look at grade 5 for example,could you
do it with no problems? I'd certainly expect you to. Can you explain how scales and arpeggios are made up? You should be able to.
I know a lot of teachers who have very little experience in the gigging world,have no clue about reading,don't understand the basics
and generally teach songs in a rock style (with tab)week in,week out.To me,these guys are doing the students a disservice because ultimately
the students learn nothing.

[quote name='Doddy' post='939462' date='Aug 29 2010, 05:04 PM']I don't know of anything like Drumsense for bass. Basically all Drumsense teachers use the same body of material fairly systematically-it's
a decent idea,but not something I'd personally go for as I prefer a more individual approach.

As far as Grades and stuff,I don't have any grades at all,but have comfortably taught grade 8 of both Rockschool and RGT. What level should
you aim for? I'd never settle for being anything less than better than I am now. If someone wanted to look at grade 5 for example,could you
do it with no problems? I'd certainly expect you to. Can you explain how scales and arpeggios are made up? You should be able to.
I know a lot of teachers who have very little experience in the gigging world,have no clue about reading,don't understand the basics
and generally teach songs in a rock style (with tab)week in,week out.To me,these guys are doing the students a disservice because ultimately
the students learn nothing.[/quote]

+1

However, a teacher's enthusiasm and ability to pass on what they know is what you need most.

Any idiot can learn the RGT/Rockschool syllabus as it is possible to pass such exams through simple repetition and practicing scale/arpeggio patterns.

A good teacher will go the extra mile and explain WHY such tools are important and show/explain how they can be used to improve your playing.
This will mean that as a tutor you need a solid understanding of harmonic and melodic function alongside a secure knowledge of the bass in order to show pupils how theory can be practically applied.

Don't worry about being the greatest bass player EVER though.

I know a lot of EXCELLENT players (including one of my past tutors) who are dreadful teachers and visa versa.