Why become a member? ×

Installing pickups

Jigster

cheers guys -

also can anyone advise me what this wire does ? It's the remaining wire from when the body was stripped of all pots and pups etc. It goes back towards the bridge - what role will it play when the new pots/jack get installed?

cheers

[attachment=57516:IMG_0805.JPG]

[quote name='Jigster' post='937795' date='Aug 27 2010, 08:38 AM']cheers guys -

also can anyone advise me what this wire does ? It's the remaining wire from when the body was stripped of all pots and pups etc. It goes back towards the bridge - what role will it play when the new pots/jack get installed?

cheers

[attachment=57516:IMG_0805.JPG][/quote]

That's your string ground. Solder it on to wherever you've got your other main ground (probably main vol) and your earthing will all work. Plus if you've still got hum you can just put your fingers on the strings to stop it :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='937798' date='Aug 27 2010, 08:45 AM']That's your string ground. Solder it on to wherever you've got your other main ground (probably main vol) and your earthing will all work. Plus if you've still got hum you can just put your fingers on the strings to stop it :)[/quote]
Seeing as your shielding it out you might as well solder it to the shielding - that way it's one less thing to do if you are taking the control panel off and on at any point.
Also remember to earth every bit of shielding that you put in and solder overlaps at at least one point otherwise it won't work. :rolleyes:

Here's one of mine - note the solder joins and how each cavity is earthed (red wire) to the next.

[quote name='Jigster' post='938363' date='Aug 27 2010, 07:14 PM']hi out7hined, how do you earth the shielding then?[/quote]
Just make sure that there is continuity by soldering a wire to each isolated area of shielding then make sure that one (usually in your control cavity) is connected (earthed) to the common negative/earth - for example a pot casing.

I always struggle to get the solder to stick to the copper shielding, think you need quite a powerful iron - a bit of degreasing with white spirit can help but its easy to get what you think is a good solid joint just slide away like an errant ice cube on a western bar a few minutes later.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='939456' date='Aug 29 2010, 04:53 PM']I always struggle to get the solder to stick to the copper shielding, think you need quite a powerful iron - a bit of degreasing with white spirit can help but its easy to get what you think is a good solid joint just slide away like an errant ice cube on a western bar a few minutes later.[/quote]
Really? I find it the easiest stuff in the world to solder. It heats up instantly with a standard 30W iron.
Maybe the stuff you've used had some sort of a coating?

• 1 month later...
Guest BassKS

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='939465' date='Aug 29 2010, 05:05 PM']Really? I find it the easiest stuff in the world to solder. It heats up instantly with a standard 30W iron.
Maybe the stuff you've used had some sort of a coating?[/quote]

Warmoth Jazz BAss prob.

Got one of these with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups. And it seems like they were adequately soldered and installed. However, crazy amount of buzz if i Solo one pup. Then even with both pups, the buzz is still there. Now Unless Im playing in G (60Hz) the buzz is horrible.

Do I shield every bit of cavity both, bridge and neck and the cotrol cavity? What about the bridge bit? And the pickguard? But then, I cant solder the casing of a Jazz pup (Plastic) onto the copper tape.

Thanks

Fatos

[quote name='BassKS' post='974912' date='Oct 2 2010, 12:41 PM']Warmoth Jazz BAss prob.

Got one of these with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups. And it seems like they were adequately soldered and installed. However, crazy amount of buzz if i Solo one pup. Then even with both pups, the buzz is still there. Now Unless Im playing in G (60Hz) the buzz is horrible.

Do I shield every bit of cavity both, bridge and neck and the cotrol cavity? What about the bridge bit? And the pickguard? But then, I cant solder the casing of a Jazz pup (Plastic) onto the copper tape.

Thanks

Fatos[/quote]
Do you get hum everywhere or just at home?
If it's humming while both pups are up then it suggests a different problem altogether, dimmer lights etc.

If you are unable to directly solder to an area (ie pickguard, pups) the next option is to leave tags of shielding tape that make contact (as best you can) with the grounded shielding when they are pressed together.

Guest BassKS

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='974929' date='Oct 2 2010, 12:52 PM']Do you get hum everywhere or just at home?
If it's humming while both pups are up then it suggests a different problem altogether, dimmer lights etc.

If you are unable to directly solder to an area (ie pickguard, pups) the next option is to leave tags of shielding tape that make contact (as best you can) with the grounded shielding when they are pressed together.[/quote]

Aha,

Well seeing you DIY-ers do this stuff, I ordered some copper tape from a Dutch dude on SheBay and hope to get shielding soon.
Thats a good idea about strips. I wiould obviously have to dissolve the glue of the connecting strip in order to make a good connection.