Why become a member? ×

Fender 1963 P

birdy

[quote name='birdy' post='936929' date='Aug 26 2010, 11:02 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1963-Fender-Precision-Cherry-Colour-Lovely-Bass-Guitar-/170529469626?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV#ht_500wt_1131"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1963-Fender-Precisio...V#ht_500wt_1131[/url][/quote]

Sorry, why should it have a rosewood board???

[quote name='neilb' post='936993' date='Aug 26 2010, 11:46 AM']Sorry, why should it have a rosewood board???[/quote]

I thought all of the early 60 P basses were Rosewood boards although I stand to be corrected! If not then they are pretty rare!

Steve

[quote name='neilb' post='937149' date='Aug 26 2010, 01:57 PM']Fender never stopped producing maple boarded basses, they just introduced rosewood in the early 60s.[/quote]

So does this mean that the bass in question is a rare find or has he got it wrong do we think? I wonder what proportion were maple between 1960-66? All of the ones I have seen have been rosewood - Note that I do believe you as I have seen the 66 as an example!

Steve

that pickguard looks far too white to me too; but that might just be the photo.
the guards on these early Ps were made of celulose and with age the chemicals turn the white guards a greenish colour - see pic of my own genuine 63P attached.
i reckon the pictures are too small and too distant to give enough detail to safely identify this bass as genuine; that doesn't mean to say it isn't genuine of course.

Rosewood seemed to be all that was shipped to the UK at the time but they still made maple for the US market. It looks like he may be a genuine seller who doesn't know his stuff? He needs a lot more pictures & Information with this listing. Certainly a shot of the headstock is noticeable by it's absence