Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

5 string, solid body, unlined fretless

john_the_bass

talking to my dad yesterday and he expressed an interest in a 5 string solid bodied fretless, and knowing me dad's preference for stuff like this, he'd want an unlined and probably active one.
Any recommendations? I think he'd quite like a neck thru thumb if there was such as thing that met all the requirements, but I don't think he knows how much they cost!

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='105396' date='Dec 17 2007, 04:06 PM']talking to my dad yesterday and he expressed an interest in a 5 string solid bodied fretless, and knowing me dad's preference for stuff like this, he'd want an unlined and probably active one.
Any recommendations? I think he'd quite like a neck thru thumb if there was such as thing that met all the requirements, but I don't think he knows how much they cost![/quote]

Hi John,

I have an Overwater 5 string fretless in the market place section at the mo'. Depends on how much he's looking to spend though, I played a friends Cort Curbow once and that seemed alright for the money...wasn't a thru-neck I don't believe though.

I don't think SGC Nanyo Bass Collection ever did a fretless five. The 325 was a fretted 5-string, and the 330 was a fretless 4-string.

I've never actually seen a 330, so I can't tell you if it was lined.

The cheapest 325 I've seen on eBay went for just short of £200.

Other, later versions of the Bass Collection (see the sticky elsewhere for details) may have included a fretless five in their range(s).