Why become a member? ×

My babies

Painless

My collection only contains two bass's right now, I do have some short scale six string thingies but all they do is collect dust.

This was my first bass, a Squier P, standard other than the Basslines pickups and some Rotosound Swing Roundies.

[attachment=373:P_Full.JPG]

[attachment=374:P_Body.JPG]

My favourite here, a MIM Fretless Jazz, I added a Badass II bridge, Basslines Pickups, Graphtec Nut & Rotosound Jazz Flatwounds. When I first got this bass, the nut was ruined, it had been filed down so low that the strings had worn grooves in the fingerboard on the headstock side of the nut. The body had gross looking painted streaks all over it, which I nervously removed with some appropriate chemicals, hoping I wouldn't bother the poly finish. A replacement pickguard made me feel better about the body colour, which is slowly growing on me.

[attachment=375:J_Full.JPG]

[attachment=376:J_Body.JPG]

Edited by Painless

[quote name='rodl2005' post='9728' date='May 31 2007, 04:57 AM']Nice- I like the light blue jazz![/quote]

[quote name='Buzz' post='9812' date='May 31 2007, 07:13 AM']Light blue jazz + pearl guard = lovely.[/quote]

I love playing the Jazz and I have to admit that the body colour is growing on me, I'm probably still disturbed by the paint and decals that were stuck all over it when I first got it. Still have some work to do with the setup of this bass though, not getting even volume across all the strings and need to adjust the pickup height to fix this, I'd also like to lower the action more too which is going to require shimming.

[quote name='Buzz' post='9812' date='May 31 2007, 07:13 AM']And hurray for Squire P basses, played a friend's brother's before, was pleasently suprised by it.[/quote]

The P is nice to play, great feel and action, but sounded terrible with the stock pickups. The basslines give it a nice growl though.

Thanks for the comments!

Russ.

[quote name='Painless' post='9649' date='May 31 2007, 12:34 AM']My favourite here, a MIM Fretless Jazz, I added a Badass II bridge, Basslines Pickups, Graphtec Nut & Rotosound Jazz Flatwounds. When I first got this bass, the nut was ruined, it had been filed down so low that the strings had worn grooves in the fingerboard on the headstock side of the nut.[/quote]

Strange you said that. My MIM fretless had exactly the same thing going on. Plus, a couple I saw in SC were the same, maybe it's a design flaw? or just coincidence. I made the problem go away by swapping in a Status Graphite neck.

[quote name='martthebass' post='10053' date='May 31 2007, 12:43 PM']Strange you said that. My MIM fretless had exactly the same thing going on. Plus, a couple I saw in SC were the same, maybe it's a design flaw? or just coincidence. I made the problem go away by swapping in a Status Graphite neck.[/quote]

You may be right, I still have the original nut and looking at the base of it, it was either filed down VERY expertly (perfect roundness to match the fingerboard radius) or it is a design flaw as you say. I also had problems with the A string popping out as it was smaller than the groove in the nut.