Why become a member? ×

Confused with pickups

XPAULUSX

Now then

the stock pickups i am taking out of my bass have been installed with a black wire coming from the top right of the neck pickup onto the volume pot, there is a white wire connecting it to the other pickup, and then a white wire coming from the bottom left of the bridge pickup, going to the middle prong on the tone pot.

So all in all, 2 white wires, and 1 black

However, on my new Seymour Duncans, there is only 1 white wire and 2 black, i'm pretty confused about what to do and am hesitant about "just having a go".

HELP!

It looks as if the stock pickups have been put in upside down when comparing them to the SD Diagram!

Do i just solder the white wire to where the white wire currently goes, then the black wire to where the black wire currently goes, and just ignore the colour of the connecting wire?

It's really frustrating me and i just want to get my pickups in!!!!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='930267' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:25 PM']Ignore them. They only indicate + or - which is useful (in theory) if you are using them with other pup so they aren't installed out of phase. For a single P (as in a lone pair of humbucking P's - not a single coil) it matters not.[/quote]

So it doesn't matter at all which way round i put it in?

Point to remember is that the white lead on SD p/ups is the hot, whereas it's the other way round on p/ups. Doesn't matter if the bass only has one p/up (P Bass, Stingray) but in a 2 p/up config (P/J, J/J) wiring the wrong way round can cause phase problem leading to a drop in output with both p/ups on at the same time.

[quote name='ezbass' post='930561' date='Aug 20 2010, 08:31 AM']Point to remember is that the white lead on SD p/ups is the hot, whereas it's the other way round on p/ups. Doesn't matter if the bass only has one p/up (P Bass, Stingray) but in a 2 p/up config (P/J, J/J) wiring the wrong way round can cause phase problem leading to a drop in output with both p/ups on at the same time.[/quote]

Thank you, so in that case i'd solder the SD White wire (neck pickup) to where the black wire goes on the stock ones.

And then the black wire (bridge) to where the white one goes?

Not that it matters like =D

[quote name='Johnston' post='930698' date='Aug 20 2010, 10:54 AM']Have you tried the diagrams on the SD website?

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/[/url][/quote]

Yeah, mine's a 50's MIM pbass, wiring is different. =D

Proper confused me like, how the fender stock pickups use exactly the opposite colours to the SD ones.

Dropped it off with a guy i know who's gonna fit 'em for me.

So, problem solved. Should recieve my Gotoh 201 today though =D