Why become a member? ×

I'm hearing voices

solo4652

When I switch my 1980 G&L L2000 to active, I get what sounds like a german radio coming out of the amp. It's actually quite loud and prevents me from using the bass in active (which isn't too much of a problem, to be fair.) Doesn't happen with my 2004 Tribute 2000. What's happening here folks?

Steve

If it's only this bass & you are using otherwise the same chain, then it's possibly(!) a poor connetion or loose earth wire in the internals of the bass.

You'd need to open up the control space & have a look at the wiring & see if there's anything either obviously loose or maybe a dull (dry) solder joint.

If you don't feel competent to do this then you'll need to take it to a tech.

Do you get any other noise from this bass? Humming? Buzzing?

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='931119' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:50 PM']If it's only this bass & you are using otherwise the same chain, then it's possibly(!) a poor connetion or loose earth wire in the internals of the bass.

You'd need to open up the control space & have a look at the wiring & see if there's anything either obviously loose or maybe a dull (dry) solder joint.

If you don't feel competent to do this then you'll need to take it to a tech.

Do you get any other noise from this bass? Humming? Buzzing?

G.[/quote]

Yep - I'm getting some persistent humming. I'm off to the tech this morning to have a full set-up done, so I'll ask him to look into it.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='931640' date='Aug 21 2010, 08:59 AM']Yep - I'm getting some persistent humming. I'm off to the tech this morning to have a full set-up done, so I'll ask him to look into it.

Thanks for your help,

Steve[/quote]

Guitar Tech reckoned that it may have been the copper shielding within the control cavity. Apparently, the seams of the copper sheets had come apart here and there and so were not grounding properly.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

had a similar experience when my band was recording a song. picked up a strange guy in a field somewhere in the us broadcasting and talking about jesus and tabernacles though the guitar stack. we used a bit of it as a sample then like a month or two later i picked him up again in my house through my amp its only ever been him and only those times.