Why become a member? ×

Best headphone/cd solution

fdavidso

Dave,
I have had help from other forum members on this, but also some mixed messages and I am so inexperienced, it is difficult to see the wood from the trees.

I want to use a combo for home practice. I want to be able to play along to a cd piped through the amp. For practice at night, I would like the output to be switched to headphones.

If I plump for a combo that does not have dedicated phones out and cd/aux in, what are my options?

I want to use the amp to produce the tone, so not just plug my cd/bass into a mixer and use that as the tone generator, if you know what I mean.

Two combos I have been eying up have the following holes:

1) active+passive input, effects send and return, unpluggable speaker output, tuner/line out

2) single input, phones (so that problem is solved) effects send and return and tuner output

Help :)

The Roland Micro Bass DX combo does hatfuls of stuff, like mp3 in, headphones out. Plus it has lots of extras like metronome, slightly cheesy but useful drum patterns, effects (Chorus, Reverb, even T-Wah!), etc. It's a great practice tool.

I have a Line 6 Lowdown Studio which has both a headphone output (which mutes the speaker) and an mp3/CD/aux input which you can mix in with the bass signal to either the built-in speaker or headphones.

I sometimes use it so that my bass sound comes from the Line 6 amp, the output from my Tascam bass trainer gets mixed in and then output is via the speaker in the combo.

[quote name='peted' post='921497' date='Aug 11 2010, 12:30 PM']I have a Line 6 Lowdown Studio which has both a headphone output (which mutes the speaker) and an mp3/CD/aux input which you can mix in with the bass signal to either the built-in speaker or headphones.

I sometimes use it so that my bass sound comes from the Line 6 amp, the output from my Tascam bass trainer gets mixed in and then output is via the speaker in the combo.[/quote]

Ok, thanks guys, I know that I could buy another box that does something different. That's no the point - how do I solve the problem as stated? Does anyone have any thoughts?

[quote name='fdavidso' post='921627' date='Aug 11 2010, 02:12 PM']Ok, thanks guys, I know that I could buy another box that does something different. That's no the point - how do I solve the problem as stated? Does anyone have any thoughts?[/quote]

not sure there is a way to do want you want with a lot of custom electronics.