Why become a member? ×

Programming midi foot controllers?

mcgraham

I have had to program my Roland FC-200 on occasions. It was a bit fiddley at first go - but as for telling you how to do it? I used the manual!

The FC-200 has a set up mode where you use the pedals to cycle through the various menus in much the same way as you'd program an effects unit.
I am happy to help if anything doesn't make sense!

Hey SF, I don't have a controller or MIDI controlled FX unit yet. I'm curious about the process itself as I know nothing about it, though I can imagine the details are dependent on the systems in question.

So you know the context, I'm trying to create a relatively simple wet/dry/wet setup (for guitar). I'm not a huge effects user, I like ease of use/simplicity but I need on the fly flexibility. Lets say I'd be looking at something along the lines of a Liquidfoot Jr in size, and something like an Eventide Timefactor and possibly Modfactor in programmability, though those are very expensive given the limited effect changes I'd be after.

Obviously a midi foot controller would be more flexible than a purpose built board, so I'd be able to change things as I want in the future, but so far, I'm thinking I'd want to set up a foot controller with:
- a dedicated tap tempo switch to globally control delay time and modulation effect time
- dedicated footswitches for the different delay rhythms (1/4, 1/8, dotted 1/8)
- an expression pedal to control delay level on-the-fly (so I can increase/decrease amount of delay in the wet sound)
- dedicated on/off footswitches for different mod types (assignable of course, but will probably just be trem, flanger and maybe one more) and an on/off f/s for the delay
- mute switch

That's the sort of thing I'm after... any suggestions? Either for the foot controller or the effects units?

Edited by mcgraham

Another thought - recently I have left the controller in it's default settings and programmed the effects unit to recognise the foot controller, as opposed to vice versa. Maybe that is possible for your application?

Hey dood, thanks for the input. As I say, I've not got anything yet, but I'd like to look into something that I can set-up as above, but that would also allow room for change later on.

As this is going to be a wet/dry/wet type affair, I've already got the drive/amp dry centre channel sorted. I've been messing with the wet left and wet right being fed from the dry, but it's not quite ideal. I'm not super fussy and would happily use this setup live, but I'd like to look into creating a simple w/d/w setup that can give me real on-the-fly flexibility in the above manner. It's really the ability to
a) retain dry signal integrity; and
b ) use an expression pedal to control delay mix that's got me quite excited.

Edited by mcgraham

Ok, well - straight away I would suggest the Roland FC-200 foot controller if you can find one - they're cheap as chips as they are no longer made - but you could also use the Behringer equivalent. I have seen these tour with metal bands and have lived to tell the tale . Roland's new pedal board is the FC-300, though I am not really familiar with it. Mine has an additional 7 (i think) sockets on the back for dedicated pedals that can be assigned too CCs on an effects unit. For example different effect parameters.

For an effects units - well - for what it sounds like you are after - the TC Electronic G-Force is awesome. Everything you have asked for can be configured either as a patch or an on the fly change. I used this set up for many years and only sold the G-Force as a mistake!! I bought the less configurable G-Major 2 afterward as I missed it so much.

The only thing the G-Force doesn't do is a proper distortion / overdrive. TC left that to those who do it best - i.e. dedicated preamps / pedals etc. If you are needing to control a distortion preamp too - then the G-Major 2 has a couple of channel switch controls that can be assigned via MIDI as well.

There are other effects units on the market that might do the job as well - but the TC is the quality piece of equipment in a realistic price bracket.

Cool. So there's actually a variety of different ways you can do it? Either from the controller end, or from the mfx end (depending on the functionality of the two).

Dood, the FCB/FC200 is a bit massive for my needs... are you aware of anything smaller/more compact?

[quote name='mcgraham' post='921621' date='Aug 11 2010, 02:10 PM']Cool. So there's actually a variety of different ways you can do it? Either from the controller end, or from the mfx end (depending on the functionality of the two).[/quote]

Yup yup yup! ;o)

[quote]Dood, the FCB/FC200 is a bit massive for my needs... are you aware of anything smaller/more compact?[/quote]

I'd have to go have a google, but I think Rocktron, Rolls and one or two others make smaller sized MIDI controllers. Whether or not being smaller they lack any functionality - I wouldn't be able to tell unless I had a look at the manuals.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='921894' date='Aug 11 2010, 07:26 PM']In the interim, I'm setting up a purely analog/pedal based and mono solution for what I want. In time I'll figure out what I want/need to create my ideal/dream wet/dry/wet arrangement and get the bits I need as I go.[/quote]

a wet/dry/wet dream you mean? lol lol lol!!

sorry...i'll get my coat!