Why become a member? ×

Need help from the neck replacement gurus, please!

7string

I've been asked to sort a bass which has a big problem. It needs a replacement neck.

I saw the bass advertised locally as a Squire P Bass with a slight neck break. Even though it was £20(!) I just went to the next ad. A couple of days later, I got a call from a guy who's guitar I'd setup in the past asking me if I could look at this bass which he'd just bought for £20. He's a guitarist and wants a decent sounding bass to record song ideas with.

He brought it over this afternoon and the neck is absolute toast. The crack is big and it's far deeper than it looks, so time for a replacement. This is where I need some help.

Can anyone give any suggestions of any where to get a cheap (but good!) replacement neck for this Squier P bass. I have to admit that I don't have I don't have any experience with sourcing replacement necks at all. I've come across Mighty Mite necks as I set up [b]Metalmoore[b]'s project and the neck was fine even if it did a little persuasion to go straight.

Any help greatly appreciated. Also been asked to find a tortie plate as well.

By the way, I set up guitars and basses in the Glasgow area as a hobby really. There's more info if you click on the link in my sig. Any parts I source are charged at cost anyway, so please don't think I'm trying to find a cheap replacement neck and then I'll go and charge the poor guy a mint!

Again, any help much appreciated :)

[quote name='7string' post='917495' date='Aug 6 2010, 10:12 PM']I've been asked to sort a bass which has a big problem. It needs a replacement neck.

I saw the bass advertised locally as a Squire P Bass with a slight neck break. Even though it was £20(!) I just went to the next ad. A couple of days later, I got a call from a guy who's guitar I'd setup in the past asking me if I could look at this bass which he'd just bought for £20. He's a guitarist and wants a decent sounding bass to record song ideas with.

He brought it over this afternoon and the neck is absolute toast. The crack is big and it's far deeper than it looks, so time for a replacement. This is where I need some help.

Can anyone give any suggestions of any where to get a cheap (but good!) replacement neck for this Squier P bass. I have to admit that I don't have I don't have any experience with sourcing replacement necks at all. I've come across Mighty Mite necks as I set up [b]Metalmoore[b]'s project and the neck was fine even if it did a little persuasion to go straight.

Any help greatly appreciated. Also been asked to find a tortie plate as well.

By the way, I set up guitars and basses in the Glasgow area as a hobby really. There's more info if you click on the link in my sig. Any parts I source are charged at cost anyway, so please don't think I'm trying to find a cheap replacement neck and then I'll go and charge the poor guy a mint!

Again, any help much appreciated :)[/quote]

got any pics of the crack ?

I haven't seen an unfixable one yet (though I'm sure they're out there)

Used from eBay, simple as. £20-30 if you're lucky, I wouldn't pay much more for one. Otherwise new aftermarket Fender fit necks start at around £55. Post in Itens Wanted here also, you might get lucky with the neck Wayne's just realised doesn't fit his body!

Chris

Cheers Chris. :)

I'll have a look on eBay and keep my eyes peeled in the ads. I've never had to replace a neck before and this is [i]the[/i] place to ask.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='917500' date='Aug 6 2010, 10:17 PM']got any pics of the crack ?

I haven't seen an unfixable one yet (though I'm sure they're out there)[/quote]

I can try to get some posted. The whole area has a real fragile, flaky splintery feel. Really nasty. Not the kind of straight break which'll clamp right back where it once was. When I heard about it, I was hoping I could inject some superglue in there to hold it, but any movement results in more crackly noise.

I don't have any carpentry tools here at all, so clamping something with some shape is a tricky operation for me.

Edited by 7string