Why become a member? ×

hohner j fretless bass

samuel

[quote name='samuel' post='915645' date='Aug 5 2010, 09:16 AM']hello guys and girls, Just been offered my first fretless a hohner j.
can't really find any info on these so are they any good???
price is only £90 which seems good value to me

thanks[/quote]

I'm guessing this will be a Hohner Professional from the 80s/90s, based on the fact that quite a few fretless Hohners Js come up on Ebay. Never played one myself but based on other Hohner Pros I've owned or played I'd expect it to be pretty decent, and that's a good price if it's in nice condition.

If it looks good, plays well & sounds good it sounds like a deal to me. Even better if you can haggle 'em down to £75 or £80. :)

Jon.

I got this Hohner jazz bass for £90 a couple of years ago! I think says "HZ" on the headstock.

Bought it on a whim as it was so cheap, never regretted it. At the time I had a Squier Vintage Modified jazz bass which was good, but this was much better. It's heavier, for a start and has a much thicker, middier tone, whereas the VM could be a bit thin and clangy. The Hohner felt much closer to a Fender in terms of weight and tone. It had an ebonol fretboard too much like the Squier. I eventually took the scratchplate off and I prefered the look then.

I had a good bit play with it before my fretless Sabre and fretless Alembic came along and relegated it!

Edited by Chris2112