Why become a member? ×

quiet rig

badgerboy

Hello,

I recently upgraded my old fender bass combo for a 300 watt warwick profet 3.2 head and a Hartke 4x10 transporter cab and was expecting to be blown away by the increase in power over my old 60 watt amp. However, after a few rehearsals i have come to the conclusion that the new rig seems to lack volume. Sound wise it seems a good combination, the head remain clear all the way up to 10.

So either my equipment is faulty, which i dont think it is as it was all purchased new, or i underestimated how much power i would need in the head. So i have a few questions;

1. Are aluminum cones quieter than paper cones ?
2. would a 4 ohm cab be significantly louder than my 8 ohm cab or would a 500 watt head be a better investment ?
3. would an additional cab linked in series give me significantly more volume or just a fatter sound ?

answers on a postman...

[quote name='badgerboy' post='102329' date='Dec 10 2007, 07:01 PM']Hello,

I recently upgraded my old fender bass combo for a 300 watt warwick profet 3.2 head and a Hartke 4x10 transporter cab and was expecting to be blown away by the increase in power over my old 60 watt amp. However, after a few rehearsals i have come to the conclusion that the new rig seems to lack volume. Sound wise it seems a good combination, the head remain clear all the way up to 10.

So either my equipment is faulty, which i dont think it is as it was all purchased new, or i underestimated how much power i would need in the head. So i have a few questions;

1. Are aluminum cones quieter than paper cones ?
2. would a 4 ohm cab be significantly louder than my 8 ohm cab or would a 500 watt head be a better investment ?
3. would an additional cab linked in series give me significantly more volume or just a fatter sound ?

answers on a postman...[/quote]

Hartke transporter cabs are rated at 8ohms if i mind right so you wont get the full 300w from your warwick head (more likely 185-200w @8ohms) I also read somewhere that warwick profets arent the loudest for their ratings.

to answer your questions though IMO
1. dunno never tried harke cabs although they are on the to try list :huh:
2. a 4ohm cab will give you the full power from the head and would be a bit louder but so would a 500w head.
3. an adidtional 8ohm cab will give you the most out of your head and it should sound both fatter and a bit louder

anyone feel free to correct me if am talkin rubbish :)

Explained perfectly Mr Pablo, I have also suffered with the problem of using my Warwick head with only one 8ohm cab and the performance does suffer an awful lot. You would be better off getting an extension cab to go with the 4x10 you already have be it another 4x10 or 1x15 the choice is yours, you would definitely notice the difference.

Also with the sound stage being higher up you will hear your sound more clearly.

The Hartke transporter cabinets have a lower 'sensitivity' than a lot of other paper coned cabinets. This as a result *could* make the cabinet sound quieter than another with the same amp settings, if the other has a higher sensitivity reading.

Lifted from another site:-
[quote]Sensitivity ratings are given in decibels per watt at one meter, or db/Wm. So, with an input of one watt (usually white noise), a speaker with a sensitivity of 90 db/Wm will produce 90 decibels of sound at a distance of one meter.[/quote]

a SS head rated x @ 4 ohms makes about half that power at 8 ohms.
adding a cabinet brings the load down to 4, so the power goes up to where it should. this is FAR more effective than just subbing in a 4 ohm cabinet - because you get a bigger volume benefit from more speakers than you do from more power.
with two cabs you get both (unless the outputs are wired weird).