Why become a member? ×

Drop D tuner

jimbobothy

HI there, just wondering if any of you know if there were different versions of the GB7 model Hipshot Bass Extender? I bought one off this forum a while back and I couldn't get it to drop to D, only Eb (there were clearance issues when using it with a Warwick 4 stringer). I then bought one off the web and this one fitted nicely and worked as it should. However they both used the Gotoh tuner as their basis. I noticed that comparing the two, the part where the original mounting hole (used to locate the tuner with a small woodscrew into the back of the headstokc) is pop-rivited onto the rotating baseplate part is in a slightly different position. If you've seen the two examples you'll know what I mean!! I think this is probably the root of the clearance problems as the different starting position limits the amount of drop available.

I'm sure I've seen both variants down as GB7 on the net but was wondering if the one that needs some DIY on is the Mk1 version that Hipshot got wrong!!

PS, if you buy them from the UK you'll get charged about £100, from the USA including VAT and the £8 charge that is put on by Royal Mail you'll end up paying about £60!!

Edited by jimbobothy

Sounds to me like there was possibly a manufacturing cock-up with your first one. I had a GB7 which I bought in about 2002 on my Ibanez SR800 - I had no problems with dropping to D and it had plenty of range to go a fair bit lower. Maybe there was a dodgy (or perhaps "experimental") batch.

Jon.