Why become a member? ×

Audacity & Cues/Markers

Bloodaxe

This doesn't seem obvious...

What I need to do is:

1 - Load MP3
2 - Play MP3
3 - Add a Cue or Marker on each count of 4 (or 8 or whatever) to mark each bar of the tune
4 - Select & loop the bar I want so I can transcribe the bassline for that bar only

1 & 2 are no trouble. I can add a Marker (Ctrl+M) whilst playing the tune, so that takes care of 3.

What I can't seem to do is get the cursor to snap to the markers so that I can select & loop the bar. Anyone?

[Edit] Nothing in either the online help or the full 150+ page PDF help [/Edit]

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='912286' date='Aug 1 2010, 09:39 PM']This doesn't seem obvious...

What I need to do is:

1 - Load MP3
2 - Play MP3
3 - Add a Cue or Marker on each count of 4 (or 8 or whatever) to mark each bar of the tune
4 - Select & loop the bar I want so I can transcribe the bassline for that bar only

1 & 2 are no trouble. I can add a Marker (Ctrl+M) whilst playing the tune, so that takes care of 3.

What I can't seem to do is get the cursor to snap to the markers so that I can select & loop the bar. Anyone?

[Edit] Nothing in either the online help or the full 150+ page PDF help [/Edit]

Pete.[/quote]

I dont know Audacity - but it seems like you might need to de-select some kind of snap to grid function.Have you got the Audacity bpm set to the same tempo/bpm as the MP3? If not you will have to de-select the snap to grid if Audacity has this function.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='914124' date='Aug 3 2010, 06:27 PM']I dont know Audacity - but it seems like you might need to de-select some kind of snap to grid function.Have you got the Audacity bpm set to the same tempo/bpm as the MP3? If not you will have to de-select the snap to grid if Audacity has this function.

Garry[/quote]

Not tried varying the horizontal scale (& it sounds like a really complex way of achieving a result tbh). As far as I can make out, selections will either snap to the nearest second or won't snap to anything depending on how your preferences are set. This limits its usefulness (not opinion, just fact).

Ta for the thought though,

Pete.

[quote name='lowdown' post='914124' date='Aug 3 2010, 06:27 PM']I dont know Audacity - but it seems like you might need to de-select some kind of snap to grid function.Have you got the Audacity bpm set to the same tempo/bpm as the MP3? If not you will have to de-select the snap to grid if Audacity has this function.

Garry[/quote]

Not tried varying the horizontal scale (& it sounds like a really complex way of achieving a result tbh). As far as I can make out, selections will either snap to the nearest second or won't snap to anything depending on how your preferences are set. This limits its usefulness (not opinion, just fact).

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='914278' date='Aug 3 2010, 09:03 PM']Not tried varying the horizontal scale (& it sounds like a really complex way of achieving a result tbh). As far as I can make out, selections will either snap to the nearest second or won't snap to anything depending on how your preferences are set. This limits its usefulness (not opinion, just fact).

Pete.[/quote]

Hi Pete.
Its not complex at all - its the way you set loop points in any DAW.
If snap to grid is [b]on[/b] you can only loop at the set grid - IE bars/whole notes/8th notes/16th notes etc.Seconds or whatever.
If snap to grid is [b]off [/b]- you can set loop points as loose as you want and lined up to your markers, or even transients,
samples, milliseconds or time code 00:01:02 etc.
Is there not a way to turn snap to grid off?

Garry

I use Audacity nearly every week to master my band rehearsal recordings and I can't see any way of doing what you intend to do. I think the only scale that Audacity will measure against is clock time and not beats/bars.

I have done what you want to do very easily using Reaper on Windows and Ardour under Linux. Using a proper DAW you can set the BPM and time signature which will automatically let you break a song up and as stated before, setting snap-to-grid will allow you to repeat over those intervals (beats and bars). Hope that helps :)

[quote name='peted' post='914389' date='Aug 3 2010, 10:35 PM']I use Audacity nearly every week to master my band rehearsal recordings and I can't see any way of doing what you intend to do. I think the only scale that Audacity will measure against is clock time and not beats/bars.

I have done what you want to do very easily using Reaper on Windows and Ardour under Linux. Using a proper DAW you can set the BPM and time signature which will automatically let you break a song up and as stated before, setting snap-to-grid will allow you to repeat over those intervals (beats and bars). Hope that helps :rolleyes:[/quote]

Just had to download and see what the fuss was all about... :)

Yes you can loop, and your are correct there is no snap to musical beats, only various time codes.
But if you set your markers/labels on a label track - highlight in between labels on label track.
Go to Transport dropdown and hit loop play or shift + space, then the section plays back looped.
I set up a click track track, set at 124 bpm in 3/4 time and that gave me visual grid references to get exact musical time
for the highlight.
[ I had to zoom in to get accurate because you can not snap that way unless you do an accurate minute and second time calculation - You can then mute the click track during playback]
[attachment=55684:Capture.JPG]

Garry

Edited by lowdown