Why become a member? ×

"If you think the sound of the bass is more important

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='905637' date='Jul 26 2010, 11:55 AM']Nice one Doddy.

Other than the Zappa interviews and books I've read, it's the only interview with a mucisian that makes sense to me, and it has taught me so much about what it is to be a musician. Scott Thunes speaks his personal truth in such an open manner and with such disregard for others' opinion about him, that it causes you to examine yourself very deeply, not just musically either. The interview in 'In Cold Sweat. Interviews with Really Scary Musicians' is half the book, and absolutely fascinating.[/quote]
I would personally be loathe to base my ideas on what it is to be a musician on Scott Thunes, a guy who has clearly lost the plot and who was in a band full of top musicians who all hated his guts and refused to play with him (thus breaking up one of the best bands ever assembled)!

That’s not to say that he hasn’t got a point, but surely getting your particular sound on an instrument is a component of your own personal (musical) voice….

[quote name='peteb' post='905659' date='Jul 26 2010, 12:18 PM']I would personally be loathe to base my ideas on what it is to be a musician on Scott Thunes, a guy who has clearly lost the plot and who was in a band full of top musicians who all hated his guts and refused to play with him (thus breaking up one of the best bands ever assembled)!

That’s not to say that he hasn’t got a point, but surely getting your particular sound on an instrument is a component of your own personal (musical) voice….[/quote]
Regarding your first point, you don't know the story, I don't mean this in a bad way, but you need to read Zappa's view, and the Thunes interview to get a picture of what, as far as we can tell, really happened.

Re you second point, that's exactly what Thunes means.

[quote name='Doddy' post='905558' date='Jul 26 2010, 10:55 AM']'The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life'.[/quote]

That's what got me into Zappa in the first place.
Specifically hearing "Stairway to Heaven" on the radio.
I didn't get it 'til then. Plus the album has some nice accessible cover versions as a gentle introduction to the original stuff.

It also says something that Zappa was willing to break up the band rather than get rid of Thunes.
His playing speaks for itself.Some of his playing was just brilliant,and his growly P-bass with a pick tone is uniquely great.

[quote name='silddx' post='905670' date='Jul 26 2010, 12:28 PM']Regarding your first point, you don't know the story, I don't mean this in a bad way, but you need to read Zappa's view, and the Thunes interview to get a picture of what, as far as we can tell, really happened.

Re you second point, that's exactly what Thunes means.[/quote]
I have read both the interviews with Zappa and with Thunes, and I think that I can get a pretty fair idea of what did go on - thru to be fair, Zappa didn't have aproblem with him, just everyone else in his band!

Don't get me wrong, I was a fan, but I don't see how ST's outlook was any more valid than that of Chad Wackermann et al, who let's face it, were all at least as equally talented!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Doddy' post='905676' date='Jul 26 2010, 12:30 PM']It also says something that Zappa was willing to break up the band rather than get rid of Thunes.
His playing speaks for itself.Some of his playing was just brilliant,and his growly P-bass with a pick tone is uniquely great.[/quote]
Great player, but so was everyone else in that band

It's never easy playing with a sociopath, no matter how good they are.........

[quote name='peteb' post='905695' date='Jul 26 2010, 12:39 PM']I have read both the interviews with Zappa and with Thunes, and I think that I can get a pretty fair idea of what did go on - thru to be fair, Zappa didn't have aproblem with him, just everyone else in his band!

Don't get me wrong, I was a fan, but I don't see how ST's outlook was any more valid than that of Chad Wackermann et al, who let's face it, were all at least as equally talented![/quote]
Well, it sounded like you hadn't, apologies. Thunes had very big issues with most of the band when he was Clonmeister because a lot of them would turn up late to rehearsals and he felt powerless to do anything about it so he got angry and frustrated, it got worse and worse and more and more petty. Zappa asked the band if they would tour again, many of them said not with Scott. Scott offered to leave but Zappa said that's not the problem, it will mean I have to rehearse another bass player and I like what you do. So Zappa killed the band and any further touring.

Not the first time Zappa's done that either. IIRC he fired a bunch of people including Vinnie and (I think) Jeff Berlin for trying to weasel more money, calling them "a greedy bunch of mechanics".