Why become a member? ×

Last Night's "No Pressure" Gig

tonybassplayer

In theory last night was our annual "no pressure" gig.

Every Xmas we play an early evening gig to a group of about 150 special needs people and the joy on their faces when we are playing is absolutely priceless.

We turned up early at the venue to find the place all locked up with the party organisers frantically trying to locate the club owners as the posters in the entrance indicated that the party was next Thursday !! Eventually they arrived and apologised for the confusion and opened up.

Set up started very slow as our singer was arriving late due to work commitments, the sax player had a migraine and needed to sit down with his eyes closed and the drummer was nowhere to be seen !!

Up with the lights and speakers and look for the leads which were nowhere to be seen. The keyboard player had taken them from the last gig so off he went back home to collect them ( fortunately only a half hour round trip ) The organisers asked if we could put some music on so I pulled out my trusty ipod ( every band should have one ) and put it through my bass rig which livened the evening up a bit !!

The keyboard player arrived back at the same time as the singer so the PA and lights went on but still no drummer. A quick call confirmed that he had not realised it was an early start so twenty minutes later he arrived to set up. Another 10 frantic minutes and we played our first song to an ecstatic audience. The night was a roaring success, roll on the next gig !!

PS Did I mention it was a "no pressure" gig !!!!!!!

There's always that one gig that catches you out - sounds like you got through it though - so well done. I do a similar role in our band too, running the PA, website and bulk of the bookings but the other two guys are happy to help out whenever I ask, so it's all good.

Agree about the iPod too. I always have it cued up for the break and as soon as we finish. There's nothing worse than off to silence!

Edited by stingrayfan