Why become a member? ×

Is it time for an Amp change?

AttitudeCastle

Hey guys!

My current Rig is An Ashdown MAG 300 (orginal line) and later edition MAG 410 cab,

After a day of running different things through it and messing with afew other amps

I don't know how to describe it, it gives a nice trouser flapping low end i like but no sparkle no real feeling of over whelming awesomeness

I don't know if its the fact its solid state or the fact its Ashdown (i would HIGHLY doubt that)
i'm just not sure but i know i can't quite get the sound i want/need out of this set up

I played the head through a Marshall VBA 810 and it was thrice as good as i've known it but still not there

I like Rumble, Sizzle, Sparkle and GROWL most of all!
i ten to play with some overdrive and the like two

any reccomendations on what to try?
I think all i need is to swap the head maybe for an ABM or try a Gallien Kruger rig for a while

Money is an Issue, though i'd likely sell this if i was going to replace it

Food for thought?
Thanks
Adam

Also just to say Hark rock and metal is what i play on bass :)

and i like cutting thumpy punch but also quite sharp very Hi-fi is what i like, which i was thinking maybe sell the 410 Mag and swap it for a new 810 mag cab?

Oh and i've been asked this a few times,

I put line spaces in as i find it makes long things like this (sorry!) easier to type and read

Edited by AttitudeCastle

I had an early made in england ABM Ashdown rig and they are just the same(cost me alot in 2001 from new too!),I describe them as sounding as if the cab is still in the cardboard box! I knew no better at the time and some people love em. Go and see Mark at bass direct, He hooked me up with the Genz-Benz with a Neo 2x12T and it sounds just up your street too.I like a 15 and cant get on with tens even 8 of them! But 2x12's are spot on because you get the genuine trouser flap of the 15 with some of the tightness and hi-fi of 10's. And what the 12's miss the adjustable crossover and tweeter gets anyway.Choice of heads to suit but the 600w is plenty loud enough for everywhere I have played so far and rarely gets over halfway.The 900w must be an animal! Bass direct have all sorts of stuff to try out and I would be surprised if you had any love for the Ashdown after a morning spent playing there! :)

[quote name='JMT3781' post='901294' date='Jul 21 2010, 09:00 PM']if you want "sparkle" you need something with better tweeters in... if thats the kinda sparkle you mean... i dunno. i'm used to glassy markbass cabs
If you want growl, try something mid heavy, and maybe with some 12" speakers in[/quote]

Just what i meant like a nice top end which isn't over pronounced but the tweeters in my cab do sound just thin air and no tone... if you get what i mean? though i'm no expert :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='901380' date='Jul 21 2010, 10:15 PM']I had an early made in england ABM Ashdown rig and they are just the same(cost me alot in 2001 from new too!),I describe them as sounding as if the cab is still in the cardboard box! I knew no better at the time and some people love em. Go and see Mark at bass direct, He hooked me up with the Genz-Benz with a Neo 2x12T and it sounds just up your street too.I like a 15 and cant get on with tens even 8 of them! But 2x12's are spot on because you get the genuine trouser flap of the 15 with some of the tightness and hi-fi of 10's. And what the 12's miss the adjustable crossover and tweeter gets anyway.Choice of heads to suit but the 600w is plenty loud enough for everywhere I have played so far and rarely gets over halfway.The 900w must be an animal! Bass direct have all sorts of stuff to try out and I would be surprised if you had any love for the Ashdown after a morning spent playing there! :lol:[/quote]

haha i know 100% what you mean about the ashdown, i'm probably going to sell it to some young teen who is about to start gigging :rolleyes: just how i got it (mind you that was in the not so long ago past!)

Thanks for the help!

i know EXACTLY what you mean! i have never been able to get anywhere near my tone with ashdown stuff! i live overdrive too (just a touch, to flavour) i use ampeg 15's but i would really like to get down to bass direct to try the 12's its dear stuff there though!

note:- when i say dear, i mean quality of course!

rmshaw37 ,The little shuttle max's are awesome and so versatile,The valve pre can give quite a bit of grind cant it. Plus you can take them to practice and just hook up a cab to your head.Its great to be able to use it so much more than a full rig just for gigs,I even have a little 1x10 for home use.Brilliant!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='902248' date='Jul 22 2010, 07:32 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=92597"]COUGH[/url]

You won't find better than a GK artist right for that kind of sound imo.[/quote]

Great thread there haha,

that was exactly what i was thinking, GK (10/10 for sneekyness btw!)

shame its a little more than i have to spend,

well that all depends on the sale of my last rig mmmm,

And yes i am quite a Duff Mckagen fan :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='902129' date='Jul 22 2010, 05:20 PM']That Ashdown will be ok for a beginner but its sounds like me you have progressed beyond its limitations which in my case is not to a level where ashdown and there diehard fans would have you beleive the gear is at.Get spending![/quote]

I think some of these comments at the end of the day are a bit harsh on Ashdown, at the end of the day you have a budget rig, Ashdown themselves admit the MAG range is an affordable option for beginners/semi pro's on a budget etc, if you want a better tone and more flexibilty as youve outgrown the MAG stuff then get your money out and look at the top end UK made Ashdown gear like the ABM range, the new valve gear and the 550 Spyder etc which are by all accounts killer amps, its like buying a BMW 1 series and expecting an M5 and then moaning its not what you hoped, you get what you pay for at the end of the day, different products for different uses and budgets, and from the amount of Ashdown used by huge bands every night of the week its a bit crazy to say Ashdown doesnt make pro worthy gear...

You did not [b]read properly [/b]then,I had the UK ABM full fat rig from new not a budget mag rig! The M5 as you put it and it was more like a ford focus than a even a 1 series,Acceptable but nothing more. In fact I have had some better sounds from the cheaper gear at jam nights etc,The 4x10 combo at the Gate in Sutton probably sounded better in some ways.And as for reliability mine was ok for a long time to be fair but many other people I know have had a mare with all versions.Im just telling you my experiences and feelings,The Genz rig was on special offer and cost me a few hundred more than I paid for the Ashdown new in 2001 and it blows it away in every way. :)

[quote name='phatbass787' post='903384' date='Jul 23 2010, 04:57 PM']I think some of these comments at the end of the day are a bit harsh on Ashdown, at the end of the day you have a budget rig, Ashdown themselves admit the MAG range is an affordable option for beginners/semi pro's on a budget etc, if you want a better tone and more flexibilty as youve outgrown the MAG stuff then get your money out and look at the top end UK made Ashdown gear like the ABM range, the new valve gear and the 550 Spyder etc which are by all accounts killer amps, its like buying a BMW 1 series and expecting an M5 and then moaning its not what you hoped, you get what you pay for at the end of the day, different products for different uses and budgets, and from the amount of Ashdown used by huge bands every night of the week its a bit crazy to say Ashdown doesnt make pro worthy gear...[/quote]

It is slighly true, and i hold my hands up to that

I played through The classic/ Klystron Stuff :) bloody hell that was awe inspiring

i guess i worded my self poorly, i don't think the Ashdown sound is for me is what i was trying to and should have made more clear in what i said.

and are very right,

The Ashdown Pro stuff is a good price too, like teh Klystron i love. Problem is thats past my whole rig budget i'd say haha, i'll definate still keep ashdown in mind when i move up in the world, in age and get a (decent paying) job all together :lol:

Like my local has alot of ABM stuff i'm trying out tomorrow :lol: but everything there has a hefty price tag :rolleyes:

Edited by AttitudeCastle

just to add,
500W i know there is head room etc which is always great but still that 500W is a bit more than i need, the Mag300 into one cab is about 180 so the ABM would be about 300 is?

if they still made the ABM300 i'd probably have one by now :)

as all my basses have to out puts, if i had two ABM rigs that would be 1000W! (though when i could afford that i'd probably need the 1000W haha :rolleyes: )