Why become a member? ×

Happy New Subdecay Pedal Day

tayste_2000

Initial Thoughts

I got about 10 minutes with each pedal yesterday with my big rig so hardly in depth but I won't get them to play them again till Monday as I'm out playing gigs all weekend.
[b]
Tomato Fuzz[/b] - Woooo love it, I've been away from fuzz for a while and I had a Colorsound the other week on loan but man this pedal is great. IT's got that Fuzz Face vibe but with the treble cut I can take out the spluttery highend making it very smooth. Plenty of volume and fuzz on tap, no low end loss, fine with active basses and the turning the buffer off gives a whole different range of tones.

Only thing I'm not sold on is the bias but this was using it in huge increments the last 25% of it are really nice for just tweaking the sound but when you really start to take it down its a bit thin for bass but there is still enough volume to make it usable even at the lowest bias settings.

[b]Liquid Sunshine[/b] - My guitarist took this off me about 2 seconds after I walked into the room, he loved it, made his Mesa solo 50 sound so much thicker. It's a very unique pedal on bass as most bass pedals work on leaving your low end clean or dirtying up your whole signal, this allows you to do you whole signal and then distort the lows and mids more.

It's really fun as I'm not a fan of high end so I can get really crunchy bass sounds while not getting any shrill sounds. Best way to describe it is, you know when you love a distortion pedal and its huge on the low strings but then you sound like a lead guitar on your top strings and it ruins the vibe well this doesn't your low end is big and crunchy and the top end is slightly gritty.

Not sure if it's a keeper for 2 reasons, 1 it's very transparent and I want something darker for my boosty gain type tones like the Phat Punk, CPD or even the Chilli Boost and 2 my guitarist loved it so much that I will likely let him buy it off me.

[b]Proteus[/b] - I just didn't get enough time with it, so far I prefer the Prometheus but I really just didn't get anything I liked dialed in, it can do a stellar LPF with one of the knobs dimed and one at minimum but I can't remember which :) but this will be the first getting hammered on Monday.

[b]Baby Quasar[/b] - Well the old quasar was my favourite filter of all time, this thing kills it dead, it sounds way better so smooth and chewy, the range on the speed knob is insane I set it where I expected it to be perfect visually and it was sooooo slow, so I turned it up and bit and perfect. I don't know why we don't see more of these.

This was the real stand out pedal for me, really wasn't what I was expecting and just didn't want to stop playing it, this is easily better than all the phasers in the Line 6 M series that were the reason I sold my quasar in the first place, they did a passable replacement.

Overall very happy, there will be a Tomato vs Huck shootout in a few weeks when the Huck gets here but personally at the moment I think the Tomato will win, I just don't remember being as happy straight away with the Huck it was always a battle to get the right tone, once you did it was great but the Tomato is like turn a knob BAM great tone turn another BAM another great tone but totally different.

Anyway, initial findings Baby Quasar is a keeper, Tomato is about to go up against my favourite bass fuzz of all time and it's looking strong. Other 2 I'm not sure about but don't want to comment on the Proteus really as I just didn't have the time with it.

Cheers

The return of the soundclipman :)

Chain is Valenti no3 Active Jazz into pedal into POD Bass XT set to tube preamp and then USB into Audacity and converted straight to mp3.

I have to admit they do sound a bit different into my amps, as I guess you would expect but the Tomato is a lot less gated. Anyway here you have them.

Baby Quasar - [url="http://www.ourinnocencelost.co.uk/fx_soundclips/baby_quasar.mp3"]www.ourinnocencelost.co.uk/fx_soundclips/baby_quasar.mp3[/url]

Tomato Fuzz - [url="http://www.ourinnocencelost.co.uk/fx_soundclips/tomato_fuzz.mp3"]www.ourinnocencelost.co.uk/fx_soundclips/tomato_fuzz.mp3[/url]

Liquid Sunshine - [url="http://www.ourinnocencelost.co.uk/fx_soundclips/liquid_sunshine.mp3"]www.ourinnocencelost.co.uk/fx_soundclips/liquid_sunshine.mp3[/url]

Proteus - [url="http://www.ourinnocencelost.co.uk/fx_soundclips/proteus.mp3"]www.ourinnocencelost.co.uk/fx_soundclips/proteus.mp3[/url]

And finally an fx medally it goes clean bass, then OC-2, then Tomato, then Proteus, then Prometheus, then Echobox set for just modulation, so at this point all 5 are turned on, then I take the Proteus out, then the Proteus returns set as a low pass filter and the Echobox and Prometheus are turned off.

Just a taste of messings to come :rolleyes:

[url="http://www.ourinnocencelost.co.uk/fx_soundclips/effect_jam.mp3"]www.ourinnocencelost.co.uk/fx_soundclips/effect_jam.mp3[/url]

Enjoy