Why become a member? ×

flats vs nylon

Dom in Dorset

I love the sound of black nylon strings on my acoustic fretless.
I'm making a twin neck (fretted /fretless) it's solid body with P bass pickups + piezo bridges. the bridges in question are all metal construction as opposed to the wooden sadle + plastic "ivory" on my existing fetless.
in order to avoid spending lots of money trying different strings it would be useful to know if nylon strings would make much difference with the magnetic/piezo set up or would regular flats sound prety much the same?

I have a mix of flats and nylons on my basses. There is a subtle difference but it depends on a number of factors. I mostly play fingerstyle but we're recording an album this month and I tried some playing with a pick - the nylons gave a very interesting sound with the note bowing almost like a bassy banjo. I actually went into the project assuming the nylons would give me my tone but the majority of the album will be flats.

As I said there isn't much in it really but I find flats slightly more versatile