Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pain in the arm

Dread Bass

I'd also add to the good advice above - make sure you breathe. I'm not the fastest or most articulate player by any means, but I used to find when I did anything a bit fast or complex I'd tense up and my forearms would ache too. I found making sure I breathed regularly helped relax me, reducing the tension and that helped reduce the amount of pain I used to get in my arms.

I reckon once you're comfortable with these new songs you'll relax more anyway, but you may need to watch out in the heat of a performance, especially if you're throwing yourself into it.

Steve.

[quote name='metaltime' post='99857' date='Dec 5 2007, 09:24 PM']For this band i have needed to adopt a three finger plucking technique and i think that might be a factor.[/quote]
Right, first question - which arm (knowing you're left-handed)?

Second question - why do you need the three-finger plucking?

[quote name='metaltime' post='99857' date='Dec 5 2007, 09:24 PM']For this band i have needed to adopt a three finger plucking technique[/quote]

As has been said before, I've been playing with three fingers (standard 3,2,1 plucking) for about 2 and a bit years now and while I was getting that down it hurt like HELL. Stick it out dude, it makes life soooo much easier in the long term :)

And in reference to why you need three fingers, somehow I find it easier now, and also for faster stuff or little flangy type things it can add some nice colour to songs. Also found I can play for longer as I'm putting the stress accross three fingers rather than two.