Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Ibanez Musician MC2940 Fretless

Gray

[size=4]NOW SOLD - THANKS [/size]

Hi All,

I have decided to put my 1986 Ibanez Musician MC2940 Fretless up for sale or trades.

Its the later series of Musician with slightly less weight and smaller body. The finish is Natural amber.

I own 4 Musician basses (you can see my slightly modified 1980 fretted in the photo). This is the one that gets the least use now I'm not gigging fretlessly and its a shame to see it parked on a stand.

The bass is in astonishingly good condition. The only significant wear is to the gold plating on the control pots. There is no buckle wear.

The bass is set up with Thomastik Flats. No electronic issues or buzzes.

I'm based in near Huddersfield, West Yorkshire - so if you want to try the bass out feel free to contact me and I can put the kettle on. I am not at all keen on posting basses, but would be able to supply a Gator case at cost for shipping purposes. I'm happy for collection or delivery (within reason !).

I am looking for £499 ono - which I realise sounds high for a Japanese instrument, but is in line with the build quality and condition in my opinion.

Any questions as always please message me.

Cheers

Gray

[attachment=54003:musician_basses.jpg]

Edited by Gray

[quote name='Stacker' post='892471' date='Jul 12 2010, 07:28 AM']Nice bass.

Just curious about the fretted one. Is that an MC924 with plastic surrounds on the pups and control area?

Have a Monday a.m. bump![/quote]

Hi,

It is indeed. Its a 1980 MC924. The previous owner removed the original pups - filled the routs and then had it rerouted for EMG jazz pups, and sprayed it white. Its a lovely bass but it does weigh more than my Volvo (which is also for sale...).

Very cool - never seen one of these outside of a catalogue before:

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/130/11.jpg"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/130/11.jpg[/url]

This is an interesting point in Ibanez bass evolution - basically the Musician body has been refined to the shape that went on to be the SoundGear series, which of course is still going strong today. Obviously I've never played a 2940 but I'll guess the neck is closer to the wider & more chunky shape of the early 80s Musicians & Roadsters etc, rather than the skinny shaved-pencil necks of the SRs.

Very good to see, anyway. Got any other pics?

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='892850' date='Jul 12 2010, 03:00 PM']Very cool - never seen one of these outside of a catalogue before:

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/130/11.jpg"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/130/11.jpg[/url]

This is an interesting point in Ibanez bass evolution - basically the Musician body has been refined to the shape that went on to be the SoundGear series, which of course is still going strong today. Obviously I've never played a 2940 but I'll guess the neck is closer to the wider & more chunky shape of the early 80s Musicians & Roadsters etc, rather than the skinny shaved-pencil necks of the SRs.

Very good to see, anyway. Got any other pics?

Jon.[/quote]

Thanks for the catalog Bassassin.

Your wish is my command.

The neck width is identical to my 1981 MC940 - 40mm at nut, 55mm at Octave. To give you an idea of the change in body shape you can see them both together. Notice that the headstock on the MC2940 is proportionally smaller to keep (and improve) the balance.

Forgot to say - I have the original gold Ibanez three point strap locks. I put the newer straplocks on because I am paranoid. The bass has markers at the 'fret' positions on both the side of the neck and the bottom of the fingerboard just above the G.

The back of the neck is not glossy laquered - but it is sealed. I assume it came out of the factory like this.

The one minor ding on the bass is on the bottom edge (shown in photo) I suspect its from a stand. Other than that the finish is immaculate.

Apologies for the quality of the photography.

Gray

• 11 months later...