Why become a member? ×

Compression/Limiters/ Multi FXs

Slaphead

Hi you BassHeads

I have a peavey 100 watt valve head into an ashdown cab I use for gigs etc. I love the hard sound a valve guitar head gives for bass. I do a bit of slapping which is fine but it is proving difficult to control the popping as it tends to distort. I use a behringer limiter (no laughing) which works fine but to control the peaks of popping it either pushes it right down or doesnt quite do the job of 'Cleaning'
I use a Warwick streamer active 4 string bass with elites, which have always given a good clean piano sound.

Have any of you used pedals /FXs etc to control slap and pop and if so which ones?

Hmmm - before you start trying to add pedals n' stuff - we need to get you a clean signal. I'm wondering at the moment if your 100W amp can keep up with the rest of your band, if it is distorting like that?

Conversely - does the amp have both volume and gain controls? - If it does - next time you are with the band - try lowering your gain control and bring the master volume up higher to compensate - just to find out if your distortion is happening in the preamp or the power amp of your 'head'. A compressor, a good one can help - but I think we should concentrate on getting you as much headroom as possible first, if you like that clean piano sound.

To give you an idea what it means to me - the least power I have used is about 500W RMSlive and my current rig is 1000W RMS. However, certain passages requiring touch sensitivity do get the compressor treatment!