Why become a member? ×

Playing a song for your ex band...

Musicman20

My ex band is full of great friends and memories.

Last night I went home to see them play as Im always in touch with them. It was a shame leaving the band but I wanted to leave on a high.

So, they played a pretty damn good set. Lots of energy and lots of audience participation. The drummer is still my favourite drummer to work with and we know one day another band will happen between us.

I got asked to play their last track, and Id have a few, but I remembered most of it. Great fun, and it was nice to feel so welcome. Their new bassist is a bit younger, and is a guitarist turned bassist, and knows how seriously I take my playing. He admitted he has no chance of getting my lines down. I felt rather stunned and taken back that people thought I was such a big part of their sound.

I then listened to our old EP in the car home and was actually pretty happy with my playing and sound.

All in all, it was good fun, and I miss the band. But, alas, I had to move on to take my career to the next level.

Anyone else have that great relationship still with their old bands?

That's good to hear, Gareth - Yes, I'm playing with my old trio on two gigs tomorrow. We all get along very well, but I've also moved on in life & don't play rock/pop any more. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the sheer level of volume - I have the new set of filtered earplugs to prove it! :)

I'd bloody love to play with my last couple of bands again, in no small part down to validation (neither of them exist any more, both having splintered within weeks of me leaving or being sacked) :)

Great songs that've been left to rot, superb lines from everyone in the bands...dammit, what's wrong with me?

A few years ago I went to a party where my old band were playing, between the sound check and the first set their new bass player had a phone call asked if I could play the gig as he had to leave. It was good fun and the band were so annoyed with their bass player that I played the next 4 gigs. :)