Why become a member? ×

Compression

Wil

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='892441' date='Jul 12 2010, 12:40 AM']I don't use compression personally but it gets used in the studio mainly because it's used on anything, I don't use it as an effect, my GK is more than punchy enough and I like the dynamics without it.[/quote]
More or less what I'd have said.
The only environments in which you have complete control over your signal are during practise or rehearsal, and what comes out of your bcakline or rig on stage or in the studio. Once it's hit a desk, it's subject to the whims of the soundman/engineer, who may apply compression to both individual instruments and the mix as a whole. Not forgetting the way in which radio stations use crushing compression ratios.

So.. No, I don't use it as a creative tool. Yes, I do use a smidge to prevent speaker damage at high levels using the built-in unit on my Trace.
After that, it's out of my hands to a greater or lesser degree.

When recording in the studio I'd be happy to use whatever the engineer/producer thinks is appropriate for the song - if anything, then whatever he's experienced with.

For home recording, I'd use a stomp box in preference to software, again if it's needed.

In rehearsal, typically I'm either using the studio's amps or going straight to the PA via DI box. In both cases I'll use a stomp box, as firstly with all amps pointing into the middle of the room, things can get muddy quickly and I find compression helps prevent the bass from overwhelming the room while maintaining an appropriate volume.

I've got a Trace Elliot Dual Compressor and a Analogman Bicomprossor, both in active rotation (although not at the same time)