Why become a member? ×

Finish to go for for my first build

Thunderpaws

Here is a photo of my first build from scratch. No where near finished yet, but most major components in place. Need to reshape the headstock as it's too thick and to much wood above the machine head.
[attachment=53784:IMG_7885.JPG]

Getting Wizard pups, either PJ combo or their Stealth model. Any preferences?

Big question is though, the finish.

I was thinking, black binding and blue dye/stain on top, with natural underside. The underside is ash, the top is oak. The top is also being carved, though I have halted that until I have the pickup cavity routed so I have a flat surface to work with.

One last question. The heel of my neck is a bit too thick, at 31mm. I only just compared it to other basses. I can either make the neck pocket route deeper or take some off the neck. The latter would be quite difficult as I have already curved the fingerboard. Any suggestions?

Cheers.

g

I really like that. Nicely done!

Just finished my own self build - 'P' shape too (in Walnut) but I've fitted a pair of Wizard 84s and the sound is astonishing - low E really like a piano, amazing note definition, I'm very very happy with them.

I look forward to watching your build progress.

In my experience Oak doesn't take colour stains too reliably - why not oil it and celebrate the wood for what it is?

[quote name='Longmayyourun' post='889886' date='Jul 8 2010, 09:26 PM']I really like that. Nicely done!

Just finished my own self build - 'P' shape too (in Walnut) but I've fitted a pair of Wizard 84s and the sound is astonishing - low E really like a piano, amazing note definition, I'm very very happy with them.

I look forward to watching your build progress.

In my experience Oak doesn't take colour stains too reliably - why not oil it and celebrate the wood for what it is?[/quote]

Hello

It's been fun, but slow, and I actually used the oak by mistake as it looked nice. It's not book matched but looks close. It was just the way the grain was growing either side of a knot.

Tomorrow I will sand my fingerboard, fit the frets and dress them.

Since it sounds like you have worked with Oak before, what steps would you take to finish it? I have some grain filler coming from Tonetech. Would I apply that before any colour. May still go natural though.

g

I'd spend some time practising with the oak/stain/grain filler combination if I were you - grain filler may not take the stain the same as the timber so you could end up emphasising the grain more than you want to. It's possible to stain the filler before you apply it to even out the possible difference. The best thing is to try different ways and see what works for you.

Also - your Oak has a strong colour of it's own so by applying blue stain you may not end up with blue wood.

Also also - there's a fair bit of tannic acid in Oak which, given time, could bleach out the stain leaving you with a slightly washed out yellowy green.

Sorry - I don't mean to be a prophet of doom - enjoy experimenting. Whatever you end up with will be your own, and something to be proud of. Hope it turns out really well. It's a great moment when you plug in your own bass :)