Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sandberg Basic 5

Apex

The Sandberg saga continues, as I picked up the blue burst basic 5 from BigJim yesterday. He had it from Platypus, who bought it from BassBunny...

I bought it because I wanted to learn more about different basses and sounds. I've only been playing a few years. It was sufficiently different from my HH Peavey and had adjustable string spacing (I know I can't cope with a Fender Jazz, but the Peavey at 15mm at the bridge is a little on the narrow side). The set up and action are superb. It really is lovely to play, and feels like a quality instrument.

With the eq flat I was a little disappointed in the sound to start with. Dull with very little sustain and not much difference mad by the coil tap. Turning up the bass a lot and the treble a little produced a much more interesting growl. (All this on Active.)

So what should I be expecting from this? And what should I be doing to get the best out of it? How much of the info that applies to Stingrays will apply to this?

The spec is

5 String
34 scale
Delano MM pickup
Delano Bridge (adjustable for width)
Noll 3-band pre-amp, (Cut/Boost on Bass/Middle/Treble
Coil Tap switch fitted for Series/Parallel or Single Coil
Passive override option by pulling Vol switch
Zero fret

Not sure of the strings - possibly Elites?

Would really appreciate any advice!

I had the 2 pickup version of this (the Ken Taylor). The tone is naturally a bit darker than the Stingray 5 but I found it paired well with my MarkBass set up. I tended to put the treble to about 3/4 and roll off the mids a bit which cleaned the sound up. I also found the 'flat' position a bit uninspiring.

[quote name='martthebass' post='889020' date='Jul 7 2010, 10:05 PM']I had the 2 pickup version of this (the Ken Taylor). The tone is naturally a bit darker than the Stingray 5 but I found it paired well with my MarkBass set up. I tended to put the treble to about 3/4 and roll off the mids a bit which cleaned the sound up. I also found the 'flat' position a bit uninspiring.[/quote]

Thanks Mtb - just packed up for a band practice tomorrow night, so will give that a whirl and see what it gives me. (I did think about not taking it to a practice until I'd got some really good settings - that thought probably lasted about .5 of a microsecond!! :) )

One practice later...

Good sound, popular with the rest of the band but - despite your settings Mtb - I tended to lose the G-string in the mix. I think there was a Stingray thread on the same issue some while back.

[quote name='Apex' post='889956' date='Jul 8 2010, 10:41 PM']One practice later...

Good sound, popular with the rest of the band but - despite your settings Mtb - I tended to lose the G-string in the mix. I think there was a Stingray thread on the same issue some while back.[/quote]

Didn't really notice the 'weak G string effect' with mine but to be honest I'm quite used to losing the G in a heavy mix if things aren't perfectly balanced even with my Status.

[quote name='Apex' post='889014' date='Jul 7 2010, 09:59 PM']So what should I be expecting from this? And what should I be doing to get the best out of it? How much of the info that applies to Stingrays will apply to this?[/quote]

I've got a four string Sandberg Basic and a Stingray. Although they've got the same pickup configuration, they sound very different to my ears.

The Basic is much darker sounding, with a noticeable low mids bias. More of a Warwick sound than a Stingray sound. To get a Stingray tone I tend to cut the mids and boost treble. Its still a lot smoother sound than the fizz/punch you get with a 'ray though.

For me, one of the nicest sounds from the Basic is to simply overide the EQ and run it passive. You get a very usable, airy, passive tone, although no EQ available.

Still a very versatile bass, and an exceptionally playable neck.

Edit - just read Martthebass's post, and I see he's said pretty much the same, but in fewer words! I really should read the whole thread before posting.....

Edited by simon1964