Why become a member? ×

Compression/reverb for vocals

Stylon Pilson

At present, we're using the guitarist's Pod XT to apply a bit of compression and reverb to the vocals when we're recording. It would be nice to have a dedicated unit. [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vocal-300/12055"]This[/url] isn't a million miles away from what I'm looking for, but it's got a lot of silly features, and ideally I'd like something cheaper and simpler. Any suggestions?

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='881991' date='Jun 30 2010, 02:42 PM']At present, we're using the guitarist's Pod XT to apply a bit of compression and reverb to the vocals when we're recording. It would be nice to have a dedicated unit. [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vocal-300/12055"]This[/url] isn't a million miles away from what I'm looking for, but it's got a lot of silly features, and ideally I'd like something cheaper and simpler. Any suggestions?

S.P.[/quote]

I'm no recording guru, but wouldn't you be better just using a limiter on recording and adding reverb to taste later?

You really want the reverb through monitors for performance but you want the recording dry so you can muck about with the amount of effect later. Does that gismo allow you to record the dry signal at the same time?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='882076' date='Jun 30 2010, 03:50 PM']yeh, how are you recording? Straight to tape or something?[/quote]

Not quite. It's a Yamaha MD8 (standalone 8-track). It does have aux loops for applying effects to individual channels at mixdown, but as far as I can tell from reading the manual, it's impossible to have a 100% wet signal. I could possibly run one channel through the FX box and record it onto another channel, but that won't work if I'm already using all 8.

S.P.

why would you want a 100% wet signal?

Well, if you want to add the compression after recording I suppose.

EDIT: I mean if you do your compression as you're tracking, you could use your FX bus at whatever mix level you want for the reverb - no?

Anyway, this doesn't help with your query. I was hoping you'd say "no, recording to a PC" in which case I could recommend plug-ins.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' post='882089' date='Jun 30 2010, 04:01 PM']why would you want a 100% wet signal?

Well, if you want to add the compression after recording I suppose.

EDIT: I mean if you do your compression as you're tracking, you could use your FX bus at whatever mix level you want for the reverb - no?

Anyway, this doesn't help with your query. I was hoping you'd say "no, recording to a PC" in which case I could recommend plug-ins.[/quote]

Yeah, recording to a PC would be nice, but I like having a certain amount of portability, so I'd need to invest in a laptop, some kind of multi-channel interface, etc etc. Not sure exactly how much all that would run to, but it's almost certainly more than it's worth to me.

Could do the reverb at mix-down and the compression while tracking, but I'm not sure that it makes a difference in terms of finding the right piece of hardware for the job.

S.P.

[quote name='crez5150' post='882097' date='Jun 30 2010, 04:06 PM']You 'd be better off with something like this - [url="http://www.millennium-music.co.uk/products/categories/subcategories/Studiomaster%20VMS%20Vocal%20Management%20System/brands/detail/key/p/ppp/"]Studiomaster VMS[/url][/quote]

Looks interesting. It doesn't explicitly say that reverb is amongst the available effects - am I just being dumb?

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='882102' date='Jun 30 2010, 04:11 PM']Yeah, recording to a PC would be nice, but I like having a certain amount of portability, so I'd need to invest in a laptop, some kind of multi-channel interface, etc etc. Not sure exactly how much all that would run to, but it's almost certainly more than it's worth to me.

Could do the reverb at mix-down and the compression while tracking, but I'm not sure that it makes a difference in terms of finding the right piece of hardware for the job.

S.P.[/quote]

No it doesn't make a difference which is why I apologised for my irrelevant post :) That VMS looks very nice. It could be a nicer pre-amp than whatever you're at the moment too.

FWIW I carry my PC around 'cos I can't afford a laptop setup.