Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ray Davis at Glasto

munkonthehill

well we all know what Ray Davis is about, we all know the kinks.

I recently seen him on the songbook show on sky arts and thought he came across as quite up himself and quite out of tune...

Just seen him on Glasto on bbc2 (i think). He was freakin awesome I loved it so much, especially when they told him to come off as his time was up and he just said no hahahaha.

Further to my interest was the bassist in the back....hardly a bit of footage of him however imagine my delight to see a Fender Jaguar sitting well and sounding great in the mix.

All in all freakin awesome.

Was it my imagination or was he holding back a few tears as he sung "Days"? Hard not to be thinking about Pete Quaife, I'd imagine.

I've seen him a few time in recent years and, apart from his undisputedly (surely?) great catalogue of iconic songs, the thing I really like is that he seems so proud of them (as he surely should be) and really seems to love playing them.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='879092' date='Jun 27 2010, 07:01 PM']Was it my imagination or was he holding back a few tears as he sung "Days"? Hard not to be thinking about Pete Quaife, I'd imagine.

I've seen him a few time in recent years and, apart from his undisputedly (surely?) great catalogue of iconic songs, the thing I really like is that he seems so proud of them (as he surely should be) and really seems to love playing them.[/quote]

yip I was going to comment on that in my original thread, he seemed really emotional. im sure the song was written about Pete when he left the band, or certainly inspired it. So I can imagine how he would feel singing it now....im pretty sure thats why he was so adamant he was doing it when he got told to come off stage

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='879143' date='Jun 27 2010, 07:44 PM']yip I was going to comment on that in my original thread, he seemed really emotional. im sure the song was written about Pete when he left the band, or certainly inspired it. So I can imagine how he would feel singing it now....im pretty sure thats why he was so adamant he was doing it when he got told to come off stage[/quote]

According to an interview/prog he did for (I think) Arena a few years ago, 'Days' was written for his father when he died.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='879305' date='Jun 27 2010, 10:26 PM']According to an interview/prog he did for (I think) Arena a few years ago, 'Days' was written for his father when he died.

G.[/quote]

strange,,im sure he commented on that songbook show it was for pete. i may have misheard.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='879369' date='Jun 27 2010, 11:38 PM']Well, whatever the real inspiration, the words were certainly appropriate, given Quaife's recent passing.

I have to admit to a bit of a lump in my throat as he sang them - no-one will convince me he wasn't thinking of Quaife during that performance.[/quote]

+1 on that dude. you really felt it too

[quote name='flyfisher' post='879407' date='Jun 28 2010, 12:14 AM']Meant to include this link in my previous post: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_%28The_Kinks_song%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_%28The_Kinks_song%29[/url][/quote]

Agree with the above - here's the song on youtube. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcZNOdXcUSY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcZNOdXcUSY[/url]