Why become a member? ×

My Top 5 Timing Exercises

hestan

Hi guys,

I've done a video and article on my Top 5 Timing Exercises on my site.

[url="http://www.johnnycopland.com/?p=671"]http://www.johnnycopland.com/?p=671[/url]

They're inspired by various ones i've picked up over the years from Carol Kaye, Victor Wooten, others or adapted myself etc...

Would be interested to hear of any other ones that pros or students have used to good effect.

peace,

Johnny :)

Mate, that is a truly excellent article. Well written and great ideas! I haven't watched the video (am at work) but will do when I get home.

Re: other exercises - I recall reading an article by Michael Manring where he discussed using a loop pedal to record and playback a single note on the 1, with silence for the rest of the beats, and then try to play the same note for the same duration at exactly the same time as the recorded note. He also tried to achieve the same tone as the looped note. He said that once in a blue moon he'd manage to play it exactly the same but 180' out of phase so that the note he played cancelled out the looped note such that there was no perceived sound.

Like this A Nitti one!

Cheers for the heads up woodster.

J

[quote name='woodster' post='877929' date='Jun 26 2010, 08:05 AM']Great article.... Timing is so often down the list of skills that bass players feel they need.

I use this one, from Adam Nitti, with my students.....

[/quote]

[quote name='woodster' post='877929' date='Jun 26 2010, 08:05 AM']Great article.... Timing is so often down the list of skills that bass players feel they need.

I use this one, from Adam Nitti, with my students.....

[/quote]

Great video, I think all the tuition material on his website is top quality. Not only is he a very good bassist, he also comes across as being a thoroughly nice bloke too.

Ed Friedland's book "The Working Bassist's Toolkit" has a very good section on weaning yourself off the metronome.

cheers Kophyn,

Yes - it should be 8th notes. Which means that you have to play one note on the click and note right in the middle of the 1/4 click at a low speed, and judging where that is, is where the improvement comes. I made a mistake with the notation and wrote 1/4 notes! thanks for letting me know

J

[quote name='Kohpnyn' post='880590' date='Jun 29 2010, 04:42 AM']Good stuff.
A question though - For the first exercise, the little bit of notation at the end of the paragraph says to play quarter notes, but you seem to play it in eighth notes. Which one are you meant to play?[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for exercises for all Areas of bass as I only snatch half an hour here and there at the moment. The article has an encouragingly relaxed tone and you describe the aim of each exercise precisely without being long winded.

Thank-you for a great post ,this will help me become more satisfied with my bass playing ability.

Cheers dude,

Ever since I switched to bass from guitar, I've been addicted to trying to play more in time. lol! Guys like Marcus, Pino and Anthony Jackson to me have such an unbelievable feel. Those 5 tips are some of the best things I've found along the way to try and get closer to these guys feel which is so hard to cop.

I think it's easy to get up to 95% there with hard work and a lot of players do, but closing the gap to the remaining 5% is like the life long mission if you ask me!!

;-)

peace,

J

[quote name='Blazenblue' post='891933' date='Jul 11 2010, 01:01 PM']I've been looking for exercises for all Areas of bass as I only snatch half an hour here and there at the moment. The article has an encouragingly relaxed tone and you describe the aim of each exercise precisely without being long winded.

Thank-you for a great post ,this will help me become more satisfied with my bass playing ability.[/quote]