Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass on eBay

tazza1

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Guitar-Bag-Lead-/140419916272?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20b1ade1f0"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Gui...=item20b1ade1f0[/url]

erm..... no I don't think so unless anyone here knows different - I'm not a Fender expert?

I hope this just is a case of genuine ignorance on the part of the seller!

Anyway it's a low-end Jap jazz copy. This probably had a tin "Avon" badge nailed to it once. Under the black rattlecan paintjob it will have a 3-colour burst, and under that there will be genuine vintage plywood.

This is typical of early/mid 70s MIJ cheapos - it would have had chrome ashtrays originally, so for pups they just used whatever was lying around, in this case chrome single-coils intended for Telecaster copies. These pups do actually sound OK though. In Telecasters.

Here's one of these that I picked up a couple of years ago, for about £30:

[attachment=52989:avonjazz.jpg]

Jon.

[quote name='discreet' post='877273' date='Jun 25 2010, 11:50 AM']Great Caesar's Ghost!!??

Original pickups? And what's that 50s bridge doing there?
This has depressed me now - I'm off to die in a ditch.[/quote]

No!! Could you buy Sid first? :)

Ah yeah! I remember that Avon from the last time you showed it....

[quote name='Bassassin' post='877294' date='Jun 25 2010, 12:15 PM']I sent the seller a polite little note to explain what it is, & suggest they change the title of the listing.[/quote]

Your sense of justice and civic responsibility toward the bass-playing community is highly laudable. :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='877294' date='Jun 25 2010, 12:15 PM']I sent the seller a polite little note to explain what it is, & suggest they change the title of the listing. I probably should've said that the start price was ever-so-slightly ambitious, considering... :rolleyes:

J.[/quote]

Ah ta saves me doing the same :)

[quote name='discreet' post='877312' date='Jun 25 2010, 12:38 PM']Your sense of justice and civic responsibility toward the bass-playing community is highly laudable. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yes, I am, as you can clearly tell, awesome. :)

Plus, all the time they want £180 for it, there's no chance at all of being able to snag it for £25, strip off the rattlecan refin, nail on an Avon badge (there are two in my junk drawer) and gyppo-flip it as the honest JapCrap copy it truly is.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='877385' date='Jun 25 2010, 01:57 PM']Plus, all the time they want £180 for it, there's no chance at all of being able to snag it for £25, strip off the rattlecan refin, nail on an Avon badge (there are two in my junk drawer) and gyppo-flip it as the honest JapCrap copy it truly is.[/quote]

:) I bow to the master of Nipponese firewood.

Gyppo-flip? Ha, ha!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='877272' date='Jun 25 2010, 11:50 AM']I hope this just is a case of genuine ignorance on the part of the seller!

Anyway it's a low-end Jap jazz copy. This probably had a tin "Avon" badge nailed to it once. Under the black rattlecan paintjob it will have a 3-colour burst, and under that there will be genuine vintage plywood.

This is typical of early/mid 70s MIJ cheapos - it would have had chrome ashtrays originally, so for pups they just used whatever was lying around, in this case chrome single-coils intended for Telecaster copies. These pups do actually sound OK though. In Telecasters.

Here's one of these that I picked up a couple of years ago, for about £30:

[attachment=52989:avonjazz.jpg]

Jon.[/quote]

I was 99% certain that was the case. I've got a similar Jap one in pieces in my garage at the moment awaiting refurb. It's got Jazz style pickups though & the tuners are not the elephant ear ones. I've had it since around 1980 & I think it must be early 70's.
I'm glad that someone has contacted the seller so that they have the chance to amend the listing (hopefully they will).

[quote name='tazza1' post='877438' date='Jun 25 2010, 02:34 PM']I was 99% certain that was the case. I've got a similar Jap one in pieces in my garage at the moment awaiting refurb. It's got Jazz style pickups though & the tuners are not the elephant ear ones. I've had it since around 1980 & I think it must be early 70's.[/quote]
Stick some pics up & let's try & ID it.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='877444' date='Jun 25 2010, 02:48 PM']Stick some pics up & let's try & ID it.

J.[/quote]

I'm just about to go on holiday for a few days but I'll try to get some pics up on this thread when I come back. The logo had been removed when I bought it but I was in a recording studio a few years ago & the owner had two identical basses (one fretted & one de-fretted) - they were badged Columbus. I've tried rubbing a pencil lightly over some thin paper on top of the logo but the impression it left wasn't clear enough.

[quote name='tazza1' post='877495' date='Jun 25 2010, 03:48 PM']I'm just about to go on holiday for a few days but I'll try to get some pics up on this thread when I come back. The logo had been removed when I bought it but I was in a recording studio a few years ago & the owner had two identical basses (one fretted & one de-fretted) - they were badged Columbus. I've tried rubbing a pencil lightly over some thin paper on top of the logo but the impression it left wasn't clear enough.[/quote]
Columbus is quite likely - they had proper J pickups and are pretty common. If it has little enclosed tuners with cast buttons, a big chrome TRC and plywood body construction, then I suspect we have an ID already!

Post some pics when you're back from your hols anyway. :)

J.