Why become a member? ×

My combo 'stuttered'... Uh oh

pantherairsoft

Using my EBS session 60 tonight for a small rehearsal with my drummer and
I think I almost killed it.

I use lots of effects with this project and i hot a spot with octave and envelope and my speaker literally stuttered... A split second of silence, a crackle, pop and back to normal again... As of next week i will have a Ashdown Five Fifteen 100w mini rig to tale it's place which I'm sure won't struggle at all... But can I assume I am currently pushing my EBS combo to the point of destruction?

Sounds like the overload protection might have kicked in, or there are a few other reasons why it might have done that, but I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest. If it happens again or becomes a regular thing, then you may want to consider having it looked at, but most amps are pretty robust, they can take a bit of a thrashing.

There's a chance it could actually be a dry joint in the amp itself, I had a similar thing happen to me with an ampeg combo, stuttered now and again a few times then cut out completely -- thought I'd broken it. Turns out the vibrations had just wiggled loose an already poor solder joint in the amp itself.

You should be ok, really :)

I'm not sure the little ashdown 15 is going to make a huge difference, because I don't know what the EBS is like. But, I used to have an Ashdown P10 mini rig, which is the same preamp as the 5:15, into a 60W power section, into 2 1x10 cabs -- that thing had quite a kick to it! And it was really robust, I thrashed it for at least a year, and it never so much as hiccuped. I'd imagine the 5:15 will do you well :rolleyes:

Cool cheers for that. I am having to run the combo pretty flat out and throwing lots of effects at it. I have seen video's of the Ashdown mini rig keeping up with drums and guitars without having to max out the volume, and I'm only playing with a drummer, no guitars to worry about.

Hopefully it will have enough additional headroom over the EBS to male it worth while.