Why become a member? ×

help me choose pj

RuiJRocha

[quote name='RuiJRocha' post='875671' date='Jun 23 2010, 06:02 PM']Hello,

I'm in a middle of a project (build D.I.Y. [b]P/J [/b] B 34 scale)

Witch combination of pups and why ???

Thanks in advance
RR[/quote] The obvious combo is J pup bridge and P pup neck...cant see any advantage swapping them around because of the nature of the pups and position...what about 2 jazz pups on the neck and a P bass pup at the bridge..would love to experiment...so many variables..and not just the pick ups.. :)

[quote name='RuiJRocha' post='875694' date='Jun 23 2010, 06:26 PM']Ok sorry...

The configuration will be standard P on neck and J on bridge,

But what pups? what brand? what model?

The differences in the sound ???

That kind of stuff

To achieve a good sound !!!!

Cheers
RR[/quote]i really dont think you can go far wrong with a set of Nordstrand NPJ4se hum cancelling set...thats the P and J set.. or some say for more of a vintage sound go for the single coil version...Nordstrand are immense in the pick up market..ive got the SE J's in my jazz and there as good as you can get for clarity.....BUT, there expensive..Sound wise its difficult, because not many people have heard different pickup brands side by side on the same bass..i could be wrong

Maybe Wizard could hook you up...? i think you need to talk to a pro pickup manufacturer and they could steer you in the right direction...IMO

all in all to achieve a GOOD sound, im sorry to say is very subjective...talk to a pro

do you want to keep it passive?

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='RuiJRocha' post='875694' date='Jun 23 2010, 06:26 PM']To achieve a good sound !!!!

Cheers
RR[/quote]

good sound is rather subjective. It might help us for you to mention things like the kind of tone you have, the tone you aspire to have, tones you like, music you play and how much money you have to spend.

For me I'm quite partial to fenders vintage 60s sound so I use either vinatge fender j pups or the custom shop variety depending on how littlemoney I have. However they do tend to lack a little fatness, but make up for it in smooth midrange.