Why become a member? ×

An Introduction

achknalligewelt

This is my first post here, so before I get into any arguments over the merits of a Rick 4001 vs a Rick 4003, I'll set out my bass stall.

I didn't start as a bass player. I'd have described myself as a guitarist right up until a couple of years ago. Because I'm from the 90's, I played a lot of Bernard Butler-inspired riffing, a touch of Jonny Greenwood, a bit of Peter Buck and as best an impression of Graham Coxon as I could manage. I bought an Epiphone Dot 335 and a Marshall Valvestate 8080. And though I could write a song, sing a bit and fill the space as required without a rhythm guitarist, I never felt I could get the finesse of my heroes, and when my last originals band split up under the weight of no interest at all form anyone, I put my gear in the cupboard and didn't think about it anymore beyond practising Nick Drake tab to try and improve my fingerpicking. I was never going to be Bernard Butler anyway.

Then, a couple of years back, a friend asked me if I could play bass for his band. Now, unlike a lot of guitarists, I'd always had a lot of time for the bass. We're all musicians. I like drummers, too, although I can't even begin to use a drumkit. And at the same time as I was spending my teenage years poring over tab books with my Encore Strat instead of talking to girls like a healthy young man, I was also picking out the bass parts to REM's [i]Monster[/i] and Blur's [i]Great Escape [/i]. I bought a cheap bass, mostly to play myself, but I was also aware that bands always need bass players. No-one really wants to be a bassist, but everyone needs them. And if I wanted to be in bands, I figured, why not be able to do two things?

So for the whole period, I was also playing a bit of bass here and there, live and on tape. I loved the work of Paul McCartney, Alex James, Mike Mills and Micky Quinn. I also in time discovered James Jamerson, Chris Squire, Darren Jessee and JJ Bunel. I learned from my band's nominal bassist the rules of a bassline - melodic but rhythmic, sensitive to the song but assertive in its contribution to the sound, and above all, cool. I'll be honest, I find John Entwistle fussy and overplayed. But Joe Osbourn is a god.

And now I play in a 60's-70's cover band, doing parties and weddings, and I love it. I try and bring my influences to bear on what I play, and just busk it all. Anything really famous I learn, obviously, but if I don't like a bassline I'll do my own - Keith Richards' line on [i]Let's Spend The Night Together[/i] is really just root notes, so I've made it more interesting with some Stranglers-esque attack, and now it's a highlight of our set. Our drummer really enjoys it.

So this is me, and I hope to do some bass talk with you all. Bassists I find have a bond, and we can always find something to talk about and are always willing to let a fellow four-string have a go on our rigs - a Squier Jazz and an Ampeg BT-115, if you're interested - and that's probably the best thing about being a bassist. Only other bassists really pay attention to us, and so anyone who comes up to you at a gig is going to have something insightful and worthwhile to say. Plus, in a world where singers are egomaniacs and guitarists are all paranoid, it's nice to have some other people on the same wavelength.

Here's to the Brotherhood of Bassists,
Doug

• 2 weeks later...