Why become a member? ×

Neck pocket depth and silly drills

Thunderpaws

Hello.

Things are progressing. Got a new job and bought a puppy. Photo's to follow!!

I am about to do the neck pocket on my bass. I am waiting on a Gotoh 201 bridge and my neck thickness (at centre) is 31mm. Can anyone either tell me:

How deep I need to make my neck pocket

or

What's the height of the saddles on a Gotoh 201 when the saddles are at the lowest. I think I just take this off my neck thickness to get the neck pocket depth. Is this right?

Last but not least. I need to drill the holes for my schaller machine heads. I think I need a 17mm drill bit. anyone know where I can get one without paying 35 notes!

g

PS: photo's to follow this weekend on my build thread, "i just bought my first wood!"

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='874844' date='Jun 22 2010, 10:17 PM']Hello.

Things are progressing. Got a new job and bought a puppy. Photo's to follow!!

I am about to do the neck pocket on my bass. I am waiting on a Gotoh 201 bridge and my neck thickness (at centre) is 31mm. Can anyone either tell me:

How deep I need to make my neck pocket

or

What's the height of the saddles on a Gotoh 201 when the saddles are at the lowest. I think I just take this off my neck thickness to get the neck pocket depth. Is this right?

Last but not least. I need to drill the holes for my schaller machine heads. I think I need a 17mm drill bit. anyone know where I can get one without paying 35 notes!

g

PS: photo's to follow this weekend on my build thread, "i just bought my first wood!"[/quote]
It depends on what sort of bass you're making - bolt on ,glued in, no neck angle or angled. A Fender neck pocket is pretty much standardised at 5/8" (just under 16mm) so you should be fairly safe with that, although it's easier to remove a bit more wood than it is adding it. As for a special sized drill, if you've got a bench grinder or have a friend with one, you can buy an 18mm spade bit (the flat, wide wood drill bits with the spike at the bottom), and carefully grind a half a mill off each side although, for the most part I've found that once you've put a few layers of finish on your headstock you have to ream your perfectly sized peg holes out again anyway, so maybe doing them a bit oversized to begin with wouldn't do too much harm. Either way, don't give anyone 35 quid for a drill bit, unless it comes with 30 quid cash back :)

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='874844' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:17 PM']Last but not least. I need to drill the holes for my schaller machine heads. I think I need a 17mm drill bit. anyone know where I can get one without paying 35 notes![/quote]

£3.80, [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180336504039"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180336504039[/url] :)