Why become a member? ×

Messing with a Precision

Protium

I acquired this a while ago and it has been a work in progress. Japanese origin - Antoria neck and what I think is a Kay "sandwich" body.
Installed MM pickup at the bridge, gives a nice tight mid sound - very diverse mix of tones available between that and the traditional precision sound.
Upgraded tuners to Gotohs, replaced broken bridge, new scratchplate, complete rewire, hipshot string tree, the works :)

Original clean up:

Route template:

Routed:

Shielded:

MM installed:

The finished article:

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='874569' date='Jun 22 2010, 04:41 PM']What's going on with the E string at the bridge? I haven't seen that before.

S.P.[/quote]

Nothing special :) The string was still full thickness where it reached the tuning peg so I put an inch of spacers before the bridge so I was only bending the tapered bit.

[quote name='henry norton' post='874590' date='Jun 22 2010, 05:06 PM']Your MM pickup cut out looks allot neater than the original factory routing! Nice job - I've considered swapping out the J pickup in my Precision for a MM, d'you reckon it's given you more diversity than a PJ setup would give you?[/quote]

Because of how close it is to the bridge you don't get a huge amount of bass from the MM, but instead a really tight mid sound which mixes well with the bassier sound of the P pickup.

I'm comparing here to a Jazz bass bridge pickup - Not as much bass, but a much tighter and "middier" (is that even a word??) sound. Again I have to say though, this is mainly due to the pickup position. I expect if it was further up the body it would get closer and closer to the traditional MM tone.

[quote name='Protium' post='874635' date='Jun 22 2010, 05:48 PM']Because of how close it is to the bridge you don't get a huge amount of bass from the MM, but instead a really tight mid sound which mixes well with the bassier sound of the P pickup.

I'm comparing here to a Jazz bass bridge pickup - Not as much bass, but a much tighter and "middier" (is that even a word??) sound. Again I have to say though, this is mainly due to the pickup position. I expect if it was further up the body it would get closer and closer to the traditional MM tone.[/quote]

Wow that's such an inspiration!
I wanted to fit an MM pup to mine and dual output it (instead of the P-bass / EB-0 combo), that looks awesome and so neat it's unreal...

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='janmaat' post='878691' date='Jun 27 2010, 10:39 AM']How did you drill the cave for the MM? special tool, or just with a hand drill?[/quote]

Started with a drill bit in the middle to get a lot of the wood out then used a standard router with depth stop and a 1/4" straight bit. Set the shank a little lower to act as a guide around the edge of the template. It was a simple method, just took my time with it and was very pleased with the end result.

That router still scares the hell out of me when using it though - even on the slowest speed: 24000RPM :)