Why become a member? ×

6 string Fretless. Huddersfield area. Unique (Humanbase.de) instrument

eubassix

I had this listed in the 'Bass Guitar' section:_
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91379&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91379&hl=[/url]
..... but thought it best to duplicate here - as there have been developments and the current owner seems to be aware of this being mentioned on BC (see below: post #2)

..."Here's one to watch out for in the Huddersfield area - although it might appear again nationally (ebay etc.)
I'm trying to recover this for a friend/player in Germany (Michael Harmssen - quite a player, who has toured with the likes of Billy Cobham).
I don't think the current owner was aware (initially) that this was a stolen bass (c. 1999) when it was first advertised on ebay (details/links below) but once he was made aware (by Michael) he seems to have removed it from ebay (where it wasn't attracting much interest or bids - had only gone up to <£50.) and now seems intent on 'advertising it on the open market for a fair price' (... of course, now he knows what it IS, and that its a handmade Siggi Jaeger instrument!!).
Current owner is a Michael O'Mally, based in the Huddersfield area (ebay listing).
Michael (H) didn't expect much could be done about the stolen aspect and wasn't expecting it back for free - but wished to pay something reasonable to get his bass back .. but also volunteered too much information (I think).
It's also difficult to know where this might appear (shop/s, gumtree, ebay etc etc.) .. but if you're in the area (probably from Manchester to Leeds-Bradford, Sheffield etc.) and see it, then post here or (better) drop me a PM.
Photos and ebay listing:-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320540422656&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

[i]German custom made six string fretless bass guitar,one of a kind,l bought this in a music shop in frankfurt germany around ten years ago,i'm almost sure the neck is made of maple as i think most guitar necks are and maybe the body too but not 100% sure on either but it is quite heavy and maple is quite heavy stuff! Is in overall good condition with 2 or 3 minor minor chips on the body and a few tiny scratches which would be expected on a guitar of this age but hardly noticable really. Although the guitar is passive it has a built in battery compartment if an active circuitry were required,i believe these cost around £25 but sounds perfectly well as a passive instrument. When i bought it,it had been repaired on the top of the neck where a small gap had appeared (see picture 4) but this was professionaly repaired with epoxy resin when i bought it and is still solid today.Has the serial number 012 at the very top of the neck,not sure if this means anything to anyone or not. Sounds really nice and plays very we'll too but sadly surplus to requirements so may as well go to a good home,has never been gigged and has only ever done a few studio sessions and is sold with no reserve and comes with an option to buy a soft case in good condition for an extra £15 on top of final list price if needed,cash on collection or paypal accepted,happy bidding.
On 03-Jun-10 at 15:42:38 BST, seller added the following information:
Have had a very interesting e mail from germany,the guitar is aparently made by world famous siggi jaeger of the company 'human bass' instruments have been told that the 'nose' shape on the back of the neck (see picture four) is exclusive to his design,dousnt have any name on it so not too sure about this but it sounds genuine enough and looks remarkably like some of his that are on the net. [/i]

Edited by eubassix

Here's what the current owner has had to say recently (via email to Michael) :-

[i]Your friend 'eubassix' did a little write up on the website 'basschat.co.uk' saying that my bass was 'one to watch' and explaining that i hadnt realised what i was selling and was now trying to cash in because i had very little interest on e-bay and putting my e-bay pictures on(illegaly) and saying i lived in the huddersfield area and even giving my name!! That was a dirty trick,trying to stop me re-advertising and making me out to be some sort of criminal because i had the good fortune to stumble across a bargain all those years ago in what looked like a very respectable shop where i paid good money for damage repaired goods,as far as no interest is concerned there were 74 watchers which if you know anything about e-bay is a massive amount,sure the bidding was very small but there were still over two days to go and its common place to have very few bids with this amount of time to go and the majority of bids are always in the last few minutes,your friend failed to mention this in his one sided write up,we were communicating perfectly well and you do a stupid thing like that to try and stop me advertising it or to sell it you cheaply,what you keep forgetting here is that its my bass,i bought it,i legally own it and have done for over ten years and can do what the hell i want with it,many thanks,michael [/i](O'Mally)

What Mr. O'Mally fails to mention is that, whilst he ended the ebay auction on 3rd. June (stating that he had not realised that he might need to offer overseas shipping - and that it would be relisted soon; which is has not, of course) and was intially quite helpful with Michael (Harmssen) .. he has - I think and for the past 18 days - changed his attitude entirely and (now that he knows what the bass is - I'm quite certain he had absolutley no idea when he first listed it on ebay) sees the opportunity to ignore Michael (H/Germany) and to sell for a high(er) price. Seems the bass was stolen in Frankfurt and then sold-on to-and-from a shop there, at well below market value.

[quote name='yorick' post='873530' date='Jun 21 2010, 03:06 PM']Looks like the E-bay listing has been removed....[/quote]

Thanks Y' - that's odd (as it's not so old)
Let's try this (.. if it's correct I'll change the OP) :-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320540422656&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]