Why become a member? ×

Anyone got an SWR SM400 owners manual?

molan

[quote name='molan' post='871404' date='Jun 19 2010, 01:06 AM']Just picked up a Studio 22 and wanted to try some of SWR's recommended tone settings that I remember from my SM400 days.

Seem to remember I quite liked the 'studio' setting :)[/quote]

Do you mean the SM220?

The only hints I can see are on the SWR Eng web owner manuals page but it not that helpful.

If it is the 220 and the same age as a SM400...I'd run bass no more than 12...as they have some ususable low subs.
I'd start with Treble at 12 as well. Everything esle as 'flat' on the para but maybe boasting low mids

Here is what the site says in this regard

NOTE: When a slider is in the “0” position, that
band has no effect on your signal regardless of
the position of the Frequency knob below.
TIPS: If you need to “cut through” the band, try
boosting the 200–400Hz range. If you like a more
transparent or “scooped” sound, try cutting in
the 800Hz range.

The enhancer between 10 and 2 for a kind of preset filter sound

I had to use this to remind me

[url="http://www.swrsound.com/support/manuals/"]http://www.swrsound.com/support/manuals/[/url]

[quote name='JTUK' post='871764' date='Jun 19 2010, 02:47 PM']Do you mean the SM220?

The only hints I can see are on the SWR Eng web owner manuals page but it not that helpful.

If it is the 220 and the same age as a SM400...I'd run bass no more than 12...as they have some ususable low subs.
I'd start with Treble at 12 as well. Everything esle as 'flat' on the para but maybe boasting low mids

Here is what the site says in this regard

NOTE: When a slider is in the “0” position, that
band has no effect on your signal regardless of
the position of the Frequency knob below.
TIPS: If you need to “cut through” the band, try
boosting the 200–400Hz range. If you like a more
transparent or “scooped” sound, try cutting in
the 800Hz range.

The enhancer between 10 and 2 for a kind of preset filter sound

I had to use this to remind me

[url="http://www.swrsound.com/support/manuals/"]http://www.swrsound.com/support/manuals/[/url][/quote]

It is officially called a Studio 220 (or sometimes an ST220) but it is effectively an SM400 with a smaller power amp. I think the SM400 was released a couple fo years before the ST220 but the ST was an update of the PB200 which came out before the SM400 so the core design of the ST is older than the SM400.

There's pics & history of the older models here [url="http://www.swrsound.com/support/vintage.php#proamps"]http://www.swrsound.com/support/vintage.php#proamps[/url]

The original SM400 cam with a manual that listed about 5 different set ups for the graphic & other tone settings. I think also some 'blank' diagrams for people to store their favourite settings.

I did find a batch of them online from a different manual but the 'studio' one wasn't there. I found 'rock', reggae' etc.

Yes, agree.. 220, same stable as the 400 without the stereo function, it seems.

That Beller link is good but I can't believe he runs the enhancer at 6..?????

I assume it has the same sub problem as the SM400.

Anyway..a classic series and made for a Jazz bass, IMV

I've got the owner's manual - I sold my SM400 a couple of years ago, but couldn't find the manual at the time to give to the guy (I had it from new - must have been over 20yrs ago) - it's re-appeared since when we moved house. I'll dig it out for you...

[quote name='JTUK' post='871835' date='Jun 19 2010, 03:53 PM']Yes, agree.. 220, same stable as the 400 without the stereo function, it seems.

Anyway..a classic series and made for a Jazz bass, IMV[/quote]

I'd seen the Beller stuff before but had forgotten all about it - enjoyed reading it again, thanks for that Count B :)

I wasn't sure what he meant about the enhancer at 6 - I usually use 'clock face' positioning so to me '6' would be with the marker pointing vertically downwards & you can't actually do this. I assumed he must mean at 6 clicks from the off position which makes it about 1 o'clock I think.

It really does work well with my Celinder J bass, maybe a bit too crystal clear for the Sadowsky (in my hands anyway as it shows up all my dodgy technique, lol).

Edited by molan

[quote name='99ster' post='871866' date='Jun 19 2010, 04:27 PM']I've got the owner's manual - I sold my SM400 a couple of years ago, but couldn't find the manual at the time to give to the guy (I had it from new - must have been over 20yrs ago) - it's re-appeared since when we moved house. I'll dig it out for you...[/quote]

That would be really cool - my old one definitely had the recommended settings at the back but I'm not sure that every edition had these..

[quote name='JTUK' post='871835' date='Jun 19 2010, 10:53 AM']Yes, agree.. 220, same stable as the 400 without the stereo function, it seems.

Anyway..a classic series and made for a Jazz bass, IMV[/quote]

Every head seems to have its own tweak, some are a surprise. It always takes me a few months to know if I like something or not!

Agree it is most useable between 10-2, IMV. I just took 6 to mean right up to the max on the dial

But once I set the amp...I hardly ever touch it again and do it all on the bass. All are active so there is enough there.
I only go back to the amp when I lose things..like my strings are going off and then I have to clean them.

As with all these things, the sound is there or thereabouts, you just need a slight tweak.............but I generally think you need to start with decent clean strings. Not so sure they need to be brand new...been there, done that so long ago..but they need to speak clearly and my definition of going off is when the high mids start to get a bit clunky and you spend too much time cleaning this up.

On the subject of strings about 6 weeks is enough with normal use, IMO

[quote name='JTUK' post='871915' date='Jun 19 2010, 12:05 PM']Agree it is most useable between 10-2, IMV. I just took 6 to mean right up to the max on the dial

But once I set the amp...I hardly ever touch it again and do it all on the bass. All are active so there is enough there.
I only go back to the amp when I lose things..like my strings are going off and then I have to clean them.

As with all these things, the sound is there or thereabouts, you just need a slight tweak.............but I generally think you need to start with decent clean strings. Not so sure they need to be brand new...been there, done that so long ago..but they need to speak clearly and my definition of going off is when the high mids start to get a bit clunky and you spend too much time cleaning this up.

On the subject of strings about 6 weeks is enough with normal use, IMO[/quote]

Ah, well we are of a different school on strings. I tend to keep mine on as long as possible- or until the need for meeting a sound/genre "requirement" comes along. When I get new strings I'm wearing in inner grimace until they 'cool off'! :)