Why become a member? ×

Sometimes it pays to click on "Contact Us"

Balcro

I'd spent days looking for just the strings I think will go best with my new bass. Thought I'd give GHS Brite Flats (ML Medium) a try. Nice tone in youtube video and with just a slight edge to balance the restrained pups. Light and heavies everywhere, except you know who in Germany. Even google proved inadequate. Suppliers either didn't stock them or had the wrong guage. Ok let's try "contact us".

Clicked the button at 10.35pm on the 6th. E-mail reply at 10am on the 7th. "We can get them in 5-7 days". Link set up to place an order in the e-commerce part of the web-site. Cool. E-mail confirm arrival of strings. E-mail re postage out first class. Arrived this morning at 11am. That's nine days inclusing the Sunday night and last weekend. Top marks to stringsdirect.co.uk.

Balcro.

Always good to hear positive things :)

Incidentally I've actually just ordered a set for myself, waiting on the post to get them here, what do you think of them? I tried them on a bit of a whim instead of flats, went with mediums but don't really know what to expect.

[quote name='escholl' post='868475' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:43 PM']Always good to hear positive things :)

Incidentally I've actually just ordered a set for myself, waiting on the post to get them here, what do you think of them? I tried them on a bit of a whim instead of flats, went with mediums but don't really know what to expect.[/quote]

I haven't fitted them yet, lots of domestic stuff going on at the moment, but I'll do it soon and mail you back.
The bass came fitted with D'addario EXL165's so that will be the comparison.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

[quote name='Balcro' post='868934' date='Jun 16 2010, 12:40 PM']I haven't fitted them yet, lots of domestic stuff going on at the moment, but I'll do it soon and mail you back.
The bass came fitted with D'addario EXL165's so that will be the comparison.

Balcro.[/quote]

Here's a silly question for when you've fitted them -- do yours fit your bass? Mine are clearly longer than a 34" scale, and would indeed wrap the body of the E string around the tuning peg several times if I put them on. So I haven't. I ordered 34" strings (I think...it said 34" anyways), but I'm just trying to figure out if they've sent me what I actually ordered, or not, or what's gone wrong here. The outer pack says M3075, which are the right ones, but the individual string packets all say 38" scale. Argh. :rolleyes:

Just to say, I didn't get them from stringsdirect, so if it is a mistake on the part of the seller, I don't want to inadvertently tarnish their good name. :)

[quote name='escholl' post='869618' date='Jun 17 2010, 04:13 AM']Here's a silly question for when you've fitted them -- do yours fit your bass? Mine are clearly longer than a 34" scale, and would indeed wrap the body of the E string around the tuning peg several times if I put them on. So I haven't. I ordered 34" strings (I think...it said 34" anyways), but I'm just trying to figure out if they've sent me what I actually ordered, or not, or what's gone wrong here. The outer pack says M3075, which are the right ones, but the individual string packets all say 38" scale. Argh. :rolleyes:

Just to say, I didn't get them from stringsdirect, so if it is a mistake on the part of the seller, I don't want to inadvertently tarnish their good name. :)[/quote]

I've just tried one string ( the '84 for A). Generous length but I would say a perfect fit. Overall length extends 4" beyond the end of the headstock. String winding is perhaps 30mm short of the tuning peg. This would suggest they would do for a 36" scale bass. Lots of excess on the silk so you'll need pliers.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' post='869859' date='Jun 17 2010, 01:12 PM']String winding is perhaps 30mm short of the tuning peg.[/quote]

Lucky. String winding would wrap at least once around the E tuning peg if I put them on. I am gutted. :)

I ordered M's, what do you think of the ML's? I wasn't sure about the thicker D and G string, hence why I went with M's

Just to follow up, I've spoken to GHS about this, and they've said it will be fine -- so I guess this is normal. Time to put the strings on!

Great company by the way, I called them and left a message, and they actually called me back almost right away! :)