Why become a member? ×

Pod X3 live weakening bass signal?

JamieBenzies

Hello all,

basically I keep getting put off using my pod unless it's really needed as it seems to reduce the strength and clarity of the signal, I'm pretty sure this isn't either leads as I use them both separately all the time anyway. Just to clarify by 'strength' I also mean volume.

Any ideas what could be doing this? I'm probably just ignorant of some setting on or something.

Thanks

Jamie

Edited by benzies123

[quote name='dood' post='868374' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:29 PM']Hmmmm... intriguing! How are you 'configured' with your amp? and when are you finding the signal is weakened? With Sims on or off?[/quote]

I feel like I should know this but what are Sims?

This weakened signal is evident when I just run a lead from bass>Pod input>Live out> amp active input. Obviously I have removed all effects and EQ settings so the signal should be exactly the same as when there is no pod surely? The gain is unaltered too.

I kind of thought this was just one of the compromises from using FX boards but I recently just started to question my own knowledge in the matter and now you seem surprised... so I'm now thinking this might be a wee problem, a solution would be great! :)

[quote name='benzies123' post='868388' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:35 PM']I feel like I should know this but what are Sims?

This weakened signal is evident when I just run a lead from bass>Pod input>Live out> amp active input. Obviously I have removed all effects and EQ settings so the signal should be exactly the same as when there is no pod surely? The gain is unaltered too.

I kind of thought this was just one of the compromises from using FX boards but I recently just started to question my own knowledge in the matter and now you seem surprised... so I'm now thinking this might be a wee problem, a solution would be great! :)[/quote]

Sims = Amp Simulations (ie selecting an Amp and Cab combination) - I asked because you also have a bypass volume to select as well, so when the sim is off, the level is the same direct as when it is switched on in the patch.

Also , have you tried switching the output to 'line' to bring the signal output up? - The manual also suggests that where possible, turn the master volume on the X3 up full for best signal to noise ratio. The X3 doesn't as such include an input gain control, so you may find that some compromise had to be made for basses with a really high output level, so that it won't distort the input section of the X3. My active pickups have a very high output. Try turning off the input pad switch as that will allow lower output pickups a stronger signal in.

I think it's just a case of balancing input with output. I had to faff with mine too! - and finally - have you selected the right mode for the Live output? ie - for an amplifier input as opposed to 'studio/PA' or 'power amplifier'? Worth checking, especially if you have used Line6 Monkey recently to update the firmware!

I've had the same kinda thing with my Bass POD XT Live.

Just adore the sound I get from my rig and would ideally want to use the POD XT Live for the occasional effects (ie a bit of chorus, a bit of flange, perhaps the odd envelope filter) without it in any shape or form affecting the core tone. However, maybe it's all in my head but the moment I put the XT Live in the effects loop of the HD350, there's something "different" in the tone, even when I've dropped out all the amp modelling and EQ so that I've in theory just got effects in the patches.

Am I missing something?

T

[quote name='dood' post='868399' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:45 PM']Sims = Amp Simulations (ie selecting an Amp and Cab combination) - I asked because you also have a bypass volume to select as well, so when the sim is off, the level is the same direct as when it is switched on in the patch.

Also , have you tried switching the output to 'line' to bring the signal output up? - The manual also suggests that where possible, turn the master volume on the X3 up full for best signal to noise ratio. The X3 doesn't as such include an input gain control, so you may find that some compromise had to be made for basses with a really high output level, so that it won't distort the input section of the X3. My active pickups have a very high output. Try turning off the input pad switch as that will allow lower output pickups a stronger signal in.

I think it's just a case of balancing input with output. I had to faff with mine too! - and finally - have you selected the right mode for the Live output? ie - for an amplifier input as opposed to 'studio/PA' or 'power amplifier'? Worth checking, especially if you have used Line6 Monkey recently to update the firmware![/quote]

It was the bypass volume, thanks! I don't know why I couldn't work that out for myself but hey! Thanks very much for helping me out there, it's pretty damn obvious now you say it.

I'm going to have to look into the live output thing, I came across this before and ignored it and having tinkered it seems to make quite the difference to your sound. Crazy pod.

Thanks again Dood, maybe some day I can help you out with my amazing technical know how...

Oh yeah, and one last thing - We're still waiting...

[quote name='tonyf' post='868405' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:47 PM']I've had the same kinda thing with my Bass POD XT Live.

Just adore the sound I get from my rig and would ideally want to use the POD XT Live for the occasional effects (ie a bit of chorus, a bit of flange, perhaps the odd envelope filter) without it in any shape or form affecting the core tone. However, maybe it's all in my head but the moment I put the XT Live in the effects loop of the HD350, there's something "different" in the tone, even when I've dropped out all the amp modelling and EQ so that I've in theory just got effects in the patches.

Am I missing something?

T[/quote]

That's what I was getting too, I'm having a tinker now and it seems to be sounding better. Bypass volume for the amp simulators like Dood said worked well, and also like he said the use of different output types (which is what I'm now looking at).

But yeah, if there is a way to make the pod simply not effect your sound in any way unless you want it to, I want to know how to do it.

[quote name='benzies123' post='868416' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:56 PM']Thanks again Dood, maybe some day I can help you out with my amazing technical know how...

Oh yeah, and one last thing - We're still waiting...[/quote]

A pleasure! no probs ma man! Glad we could sort it!

and yes.... sorry! It has been a bit of a while - but it is happening - it will happen and hopefully soon!!!