Why become a member? ×

carbon fibre endpins

saxobass

Hi all. Health problems (rheumatoid arthritis and coronary heart disease) mean I`ve got to try and lighten my bass as much as possible. Thought I`d start by replacing my steel 10mm endpin with a carbon fibre rod. (Understand this might also influence the sound????) Has anyone done this, and have any advice to offer?

Edited by saxobass

I did exactly this a month or so ago, with good results.

It is easy to replace the old endpin with the carbon fibre rod, although it was a little bit snug at first, but has loosened off a bit with use. As claimed by some luthiers, it has also made my double bass louder.

The only hassle I've had is that the carbon fibre rod doesn't have a stop on the end, so it can disappear inside the bass. Fortunately it is easy enough to retrieve the rod by pushing it all the way through with a pencil then getting it out an f-hole, but this could be avoided by putting a rubber foot on the endpin... which should probably be done anyway.

I have some spare 10mm carbon fibre rod left over from my experiments - if you let me know what length you require I'll send it on to you.

Jennifer

I don't know if this is in any way helpful but I have shortened the steel endpins in my basses to the length that I actually need. This has reduced the weight significantly, although what happens if a real tall guy gets hold of my stuff one day........................

There is a really lovely guy who is a bass player and dead jealous of my Upton, which is quite big. Problem is he is a bit, er, vertically challenged so the endpin thing won't be a problem when he gets my bass. I've told him he can have it in my will!

Thanks all. I just spoke to Tony Houska (Contrabass Shoppe) and he agreed to let me have one of his remaining C.F. endpins at cost (probably less, in fact, I think they didn`t prove a good seller). I am expecting it soon and will report back. Thanks especially for the offer Jennifer.

Just seen your similar thread on talkbass, where there are various dire prognostications :-)

The first one seems to be about the problems of using a standard thumb screw endpin tightener with the carbon fibre rod; I don't have any advice on this point as the endpin holder on my double bass came equipped with the sleeve type tightener rather than the thumbscrew, and it has worked fine.

The second one would appear to be about the bendability of carbon fibre versus steel. I use 10mm carbon fibre rod (as opposed to tube), and haven't noticed it bending, although I only have the endping set at about 5", so perhaps this is something that one might notice if you used a significantly longer endpin? I'm not sure it would, as it seems pretty tough material to me. It would be interesting to hear feedback from others.

Jennifer