Why become a member? ×

Hard to explain odd string noise with electric bass?

You'll have to bare with me as I may sound like I'm talking rubbish but it's hard to explain what's happening with my bass. lol
Basically when I'm playing my electric just as it is without running it through an amp and I'm playing the B, E or A string open (more so the B and E) the strings sound... well.. the only way I can describe it is hollow! Like they're empty on the inside and like there's a light echo? I really must sound crazy at this point. Also when I'm playing the B or E fretted it sounds as though other strings are being played, even when they're muted and definite not being hit even accidentally.
Does that make any sense at all?? lol They're relatively newish strings, maybe a couple months old but they've had very light wear. Maybe 3-4 hours a week home practice plus 1 hr lesson a week as I'm not in a band anymore. And I've only noticed this happening in the past month or so. I bought them online through stringbusters I think it was.
I should just go out and buy new strings but it's having the time with work and things!

Any idea or am I just making it sound like i've mentally 'gone out'?

:)

Not sure about the open strings, but for the fretted ones could it be the string between your finger and the nut vibrating as well as the bit you'd expect? Maybe check all the hardware is tight, and there's nothing vibrating in sympathy.

If it all disappears through the amp though I wouldn't worry about it.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='854170' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:33 PM']Not sure about the open strings, but for the fretted ones could it be the string between your finger and the nut vibrating as well as the bit you'd expect? Maybe check all the hardware is tight, and there's nothing vibrating in sympathy.

If it all disappears through the amp though I wouldn't worry about it.[/quote]
ooh. I've just looked at that and I think you're spot on. Why would it have started doing that all of a sudden though?

It sounds as if you've got something that's worked it's way loose. Check the tuning keys are tight and not in a "loose spot" in between tensioning one way or the other. It could also be a weather change and the neck's moved a little, making the lower strings just slightly shimmer against the frets at some point. It could also be the truss rod has come slightly loose and is rattling, but that's also an easy one to get sorted - Just check the truss rod adjuster is tight when you put an hex wrench into it and not spinning loose. The other one which people miss sometimes is how the lower (thicker) strings are wound on the winding post - Make sure the strings are wound tightly from top to bottom, with the main string as low to the headstock as you can get it. This improves tension, particularly on E & B strings.

Btw, I think you meant "bear with me" - If we were to "bare" with you, I don't think you'd like the results! :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='854220' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:58 PM']Could be a lot of things: a change in technique, a slight movement of the neck, maybe some fret wear, string rattling gnomes, I could go on...

Unless you mean it was loose hardware, in which case its definitely the gnomes.[/quote]
No idea. Can't think of anything recently which would've knocked something to loosen hardware or move the neck. Although having said it maybe constant changes in temperature taking it to/from lesson during the winter/spring may not have helped, and then when I changed my strings. God only knows.
Having looked at the neck it appears that there could be a tiiiiny bit of curve on the top (G) side, whereas the Bottom ( B ) side is bolt straight. Could be my eyes though.

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='854224' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:59 PM']It sounds as if you've got something that's worked it's way loose. Check the tuning keys are tight and not in a "loose spot" in between tensioning one way or the other. It could also be a weather change and the neck's moved a little, making the lower strings just slightly shimmer against the frets at some point. It could also be the truss rod has come slightly loose and is rattling, but that's also an easy one to get sorted - Just check the truss rod adjuster is tight when you put an hex wrench into it and not spinning loose. The other one which people miss sometimes is how the lower (thicker) strings are wound on the winding post - Make sure the strings are wound tightly from top to bottom, with the main string as low to the headstock as you can get it. This improves tension, particularly on E & B strings.

Btw, I think you meant "bear with me" - If we were to "bare" with you, I don't think you'd like the results! :)[/quote]
Thanks. Had a quick look and nothing seems loose. Can't get to the truss rod adjuster without taking the strings and a plate off so will have to have a go at it when I've got some new strings and kill numerous birds with one stone.

Oh and yes.. bear too :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='854228' date='Jun 1 2010, 10:01 PM']Having looked at the neck it appears that there could be a tiiiiny bit of curve on the top (G) side, whereas the Bottom ( B ) side is bolt straight. Could be my eyes though.[/quote]
That's a [i]little[/i] bit worrying to me... if there's only one truss rod. That sounds twisty. If there are two truss rods, then that's no problem at all (although I'd have set up the top side to be straighter, rather than the bottom).

Are the new strings the same brand/type/gauge as the old ones?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='854525' date='Jun 2 2010, 09:59 AM']That's a [i]little[/i] bit worrying to me... if there's only one truss rod. That sounds twisty. If there are two truss rods, then that's no problem at all (although I'd have set up the top side to be straighter, rather than the bottom).

Are the new strings the same brand/type/gauge as the old ones?[/quote]
No, different brand although I think the gauge was the same if not maybe slightly heavier.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='854155' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:25 PM']You'll have to bare with me as I may sound like I'm talking rubbish but it's hard to explain what's happening with my bass. lol
Basically when I'm playing my electric just as it is without running it through an amp and I'm playing the B, E or A string open (more so the B and E) the strings sound... well.. the only way I can describe it is hollow! Like they're empty on the inside and like there's a light echo? I really must sound crazy at this point. Also when I'm playing the B or E fretted it sounds as though other strings are being played, even when they're muted and definite not being hit even accidentally.
Does that make any sense at all?? lol They're relatively newish strings, maybe a couple months old but they've had very light wear. Maybe 3-4 hours a week home practice plus 1 hr lesson a week as I'm not in a band anymore. And I've only noticed this happening in the past month or so. I bought them online through stringbusters I think it was.
I should just go out and buy new strings but it's having the time with work and things!

Any idea or am I just making it sound like i've mentally 'gone out'?

:)[/quote]

First things to check Check strings aren't catching on the frets (move around the fingerboard for this) if they are still making a noise, check that there is nothing loose at the bridge i.e. any saddles. if its none of these things then it could be.............

I have a Yamaha TRB it came with strings that have a kind of black or red thread in the core of the string (i.e. not metal), it goes fluffy at the string end you know the stuff. I changed the strings to the Ernies that I have on my jazz bass, these have a metal core, and I think I was getting the same sound, its not nice!. So try changing the strings for ones with fluff (black or red thread in the core), it works on my TRB, maybe the thread dampens the string internally a bit to take away 'that' sound.
If you take off the old string carefully you can always use em again.

Hope it helps

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='854551' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:25 AM']No, different brand although I think the gauge was the same if not maybe slightly heavier.[/quote]
Well, until you adjust the truss rod to compensate for the change, chances are the string change [i]will[/i] have altered the curve of the neck, due to differences in tension. That (combined with the recent changes in weather) could have caused your troubles. I know the recent hot spell has caused a couple of my basses to need truss rod tweaks.

That's where my knowledge ends, sadly. :)

But seriously, every time I change strings, I check the neck relief (and adjust if required), saddle heights (and adjust if required) and intonation (and... wait for it... adjust if required). I rather enjoy the ritual. I'm looking forward to doing it tonight, actually.

(Why's there no "massive nerd" emoticon on here?)

Thanks guys. Will try some new strings a re-set it up and see if that helps I think. I am slightly concerned about the neck though. Will have another look at it this afternoon as it was only slight. Hopefully with another set up it would work itself out but if not does anyone know what can be done about it? It's a thru neck design so new neck isn't really an option. :) Will adjusting the truss rod sort out the slight twist? I've not adjusted the truss rod before :rolleyes:

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='854584' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:45 AM']Thanks guys. Will try some new strings a re-set it up and see if that helps I think. I am slightly concerned about the neck though. Will have another look at it this afternoon as it was only slight. Hopefully with another set up it would work itself out but if not does anyone know what can be done about it? It's a thru neck design so new neck isn't really an option. :) Will adjusting the truss rod sort out the slight twist? I've not adjusted the truss rod before :rolleyes:[/quote]
Ahem. Seriously now. If you're at all concerned, get it to a decent tech person (I'm guessing PeteAcademy can hook you up with someone down your way).

The truss rod [i]shouldn't[/i] make a shred of difference to a twist... but necks and truss rods can do strange things.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='854584' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:45 AM']Thanks guys. Will try some new strings a re-set it up and see if that helps I think. I am slightly concerned about the neck though. Will have another look at it this afternoon as it was only slight. Hopefully with another set up it would work itself out but if not does anyone know what can be done about it? It's a thru neck design so new neck isn't really an option. :) Will adjusting the truss rod sort out the slight twist? I've not adjusted the truss rod before :rolleyes:[/quote]

If you have put heavier strings on it. You will def have to adjust the relief on the neck.!! My advice get it set up properly by a shop. Then you will know what it should feel like when its set right. Then you have a reference point to make your own adjustments.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='854580' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:43 AM']Well, until you adjust the truss rod to compensate for the change, chances are the string change [i]will[/i] have altered the curve of the neck, due to differences in tension. That (combined with the recent changes in weather) could have caused your troubles. I know the recent hot spell has caused a couple of my basses to need truss rod tweaks.

That's where my knowledge ends, sadly. :)

But seriously, every time I change strings, I check the neck relief (and adjust if required), saddle heights (and adjust if required) and intonation (and... wait for it... adjust if required). I rather enjoy the ritual. I'm looking forward to doing it tonight, actually.

(Why's there no "massive nerd" emoticon on here?)[/quote]

If the tech says there is a twist and its not so bad they can reprofile the higher frets on the low strings to compensate. All the old jazz basses I have suffer from a bit of twist on the E and A string, to a certain degree, its a design fault of the original necks, a little bit of fettling usually brings em right. But do not try this at home................