Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Using 2 preamps

TDL

[size=3]Hi, I want to use an Ampeg SVP preamp for drive, in combination with either my Markbass head (for gigs) or my swr combo (for practise). How exactly would I go about doing this as I don't want to fry anything. They both have effect loops if this helps. Thanks [/size]

i did this with my glockenklang preamp and isp preamp

the glock preamp had an effects loop you could turn on and off, so thats how i would switch between

unfortunately you dont have this luxury with the mark head, im sure a boss LS2 will sort it out though with one of the many configs

I used to do this a long time ago. I used this pedal:-

Bass into the input of pedal, and two leads out to the preamps. One was an Ampeg SVP pro preamp, which then went to my hartke 7000 head active input, and the other straight into the Hartke. Worked great but I felt it was over kill, So never used it for long.

Very simple to wire, and did the job for me.

Still have the pedal if you want to try it :)

Edited by Badass

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys, didn't see your replies. Thanks for the advice. I have now tried things out but I'm a little bit hesitant. I'm using this set up:

bass --> Markbass Distorsore pedal --> Ampeg SVP Pro --> FX return of Markbass SA450

I haven't tried it yet but I might also want to use my GT-6B somewhere in the chain.

What I'm worried about is when I tried this last night for about an hour there was a kind of burnt plastic smell. It might just be the Markbass pedal as it's new, however in the Markbass SA450 manual it said maximum voltage for the FX return is 12Vpp. I don't really know what this means but as there's a lot of gain on the distortion pedal followed by loads of gain on the Ampeg preamp (I also don't understand why the Ampeg pre also has a gain and a master volume when it's a preamp, I thought it should only have gain?) I just didn't want to overload the FX return and fry anything. Also, the Markbass FX loop is in parallel so both preamps EQ work at the same time - this actually sounds great but again, I don't want any damage. I'm probably just being stupid but it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks

[quote name='TDL' post='878381' date='Jun 26 2010, 07:56 PM']Sorry guys, didn't see your replies. Thanks for the advice. I have now tried things out but I'm a little bit hesitant. I'm using this set up:

bass --> Markbass Distorsore pedal --> Ampeg SVP Pro --> FX return of Markbass SA450

I haven't tried it yet but I might also want to use my GT-6B somewhere in the chain.

What I'm worried about is when I tried this last night for about an hour there was a kind of burnt plastic smell. It might just be the Markbass pedal as it's new, however in the Markbass SA450 manual it said maximum voltage for the FX return is 12Vpp. I don't really know what this means but as there's a lot of gain on the distortion pedal followed by loads of gain on the Ampeg preamp (I also don't understand why the Ampeg pre also has a gain and a master volume when it's a preamp, I thought it should only have gain?) I just didn't want to overload the FX return and fry anything. Also, the Markbass FX loop is in parallel so both preamps EQ work at the same time - this actually sounds great but again, I don't want any damage. I'm probably just being stupid but it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks[/quote]

12VPP (peak-peak) is a lot. The pedal that drives the FX is most likey is powered by a 9v battery or a 9V power supply?, if so the most it could put out will be 9VPP and that would be flat out.