Why become a member? ×

Squier JV Precision for sale PULLED AGAIN

john_the_bass

I have my eye on pyschoandy's 75 Precision and I need to raise some money to pay for it.
So here's me Squier JV Precision. Neck date is 22nd April 1983 and the plastic Fender shim in the neck pocket is dated April 1983.

Apparently (and I don't know whether this is true or not), 3TS was dumped for solid colours for basses sold after May 1983, which means that this would be one of those - although I don't know a lot of the history of them to be honest. As far as I can tell, it's all original - threaded saddles, reverse tuners, a pickguard which must be original as it's the only one in the world that seems to fit - if you remember the pickgaurd thread, I snapped this roughly in between the top of the thumbrest and screw in the top horn - you can just see the line of the break level with the 20th fret on the left hand side. I put a bit of tape on the underside and joined the two pieces together. Paul, the highlighted a JV pickguard on fleabay a while back, but i didn't have the readies at the time (it went for about £35 - about a tenner less than a WD tort one!)
Pickups have cloth covered wires (apparently this is a sign they are USA pickups? Who knows), there is a strap button on the back of the headstock and the serial is stamped into the neck plate. PM me if you want it, I am at work at the minute and I've not got access to it until I get home.

It's very playable - it needs a tweak to set it up perfectly, but I was amazed at how similar the feel of the neck is to my modern P, particularly after I had my 84 Jap P which had a particularly fat feeling neck. Condition is generally very good, no chips of paint missing or dings or dints - the pickguard is the only downside and there are one or two knocks on the headstock, I'll take some more high res, better detail pics later as it will end up on ebay if I am to stand a chance of getting a 70s Fender.

Now the price - this is the thing. This time of year is a bugger for selling anything as people are putting their money elsewhere and I fully expect virtually everybody here to not be thinking about buying a bass (I can justify this to her indoors as I will sell the LP Studio to make up the defecit and technically, I am not spending any money :) ). Based on what these are going for on ebay, I would like to get as close to [b]£500[/b] (plus p and p) for it as possible, as I think it might stand a chance of hitting that at auction - obviously there's only one way to find out. I don't want you to think I am taking the piss on the price and certainly wouldn't set out to rip anybody on here off - but if someone on fleabay wants to pay that at auction, then that's up to them in't it.

All questions, input, info, etc welcome

[i]edit[/i]The original posting was "tentatively for sale" as I didn't know what the reaction was going to be on the asking price. However, it's properly up for sale if I am to have a shot at buying a 70s P.

Edited by john_the_bass

I have a friend who has one of the earliest Fender-badged Squiers and I have to say it's an amazing bass. The fit and finish is perfect and I have no doubt that this bass is the same (the black/tort combination is lovely). £500 is certainly [u]not[/u] OTT in terms of what these go for these days; anyone who knows how good these basses are should happily pay that. Best of luck!

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

Thanks Gareth, yeah it's a grand bit of kit alright.

anyway, a couple more pics below and some more pics [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/johna_le3/sets/72157603264787890/"][u]here[/u][/url].
If anybody wants any specific images, let me know. It's a bloody nightmare taking pictures without any natural light and a flash that only moves one way. Some of the pics show the stuff in the room like a mirror so i don't know if it will pick up all the detail

Edited by john_the_bass

I had one of these a few years back - great bass and what Gareth says is completely spot on! Yours looks like it's in great condition too...

I sold mine at the time in 2004 for about £550, so your pricing is pretty fair I'd say.

Good luck with the sale John!

with Psychoandy's P bass ending tonight on ebay and the bidding being just within my reach, this is up for sale til Andy's auction ends. I need the asking price to be in with a chance of buying a 70s P that I've seen and as far as I know (from using this forum) to be straight.

So any takers?
If it doesn't go before the auction ends, I'll keep hold of it for the time being.
Cheers