Why become a member? ×

Hey folks......HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Hoppo75

Hiya all,

Played a gig on Saturday night and noticed some feedback coming from my cab. Never had this before and it was very faint so just thought that I was picking up a dodgy light somewhere, but I have since found that the slight feedback noise is still there in the house and that I also have a bit of a crackle from the blend pot on my Frankenjazz. I'm running a Harke 3500a with a pro series 2x12 cab. All of my leads are really good quality, and as suspected after trying some others, the problem still exists. The other thing I noticed which may sound a bit bonkers, is that when my wedding ring touches a string I can hear a crackle, almost exactly the same sound the blend pot is making. I'm still here to type this message, so I'm guessing that the thing wasn't live, but it does have me worried.

Can anyone help with ideas/advice?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='841458' date='May 18 2010, 10:06 PM']It sounds like your bass may have an earthing issue - I'd look for a loose connection under the control plate.[/quote]
Thanks for that mate. Checked that out on Sunday - all appears OK. Taking it to the builder tomorrow to hopefully get sorted. Will post back the result.

Thanks mate.

[quote name='Hoppo75' post='841398' date='May 18 2010, 09:10 PM']Hiya all,

Played a gig on Saturday night and noticed some feedback coming from my cab. Never had this before and it was very faint so just thought that I was picking up a dodgy light somewhere, but I have since found that the slight feedback noise is still there in the house and that I also have a bit of a crackle from the blend pot on my Frankenjazz. I'm running a Harke 3500a with a pro series 2x12 cab. All of my leads are really good quality, and as suspected after trying some others, the problem still exists. The other thing I noticed which may sound a bit bonkers, is that when my wedding ring touches a string I can hear a crackle, almost exactly the same sound the blend pot is making. I'm still here to type this message, so I'm guessing that the thing wasn't live, but it does have me worried.

Can anyone help with ideas/advice?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Eliminate first.... try a different bass/amp/lead to establish where the fault lies. Go from there...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='844112' date='May 21 2010, 01:31 PM']Eliminate first.... try a different bass/amp/lead to establish where the fault lies. Go from there...[/quote]

Thanks mate. Again, done on Sunday - tried my precision and all was well. Tried a different lead with the Jazz - problem still existed. Positive it's the guitar. The guy who built it is on hol for a couple of weeks so will get it sorted when returns....the precision will get a few more outings in the meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya Folks,

Gigged again last night, this time with the Precision, and after thinking I'd nailed the problem down to the Jazz electrics....... the same bloody problem came back!!! However, this time I had a bit of a play with the amp settings. I reduced the low contour to zero and then back to where I had it set and the feedback very nearly disappeared. Has anyone who has had experience of, or currently owns a Hartke 3500 head, had a problem with the contouring side of things? I use the graphic to slightly boost the low and high freq's and use the low and high contour to dial in my tone. This problem has just started and I'm hoping that something isn't breaking down in the amp.

Any ideas what I do next folks?