Why become a member? ×

German Upright for Sale SOLD

Hey guys and gals,

Here's the link to the page in the "for sale" section :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88504&hl=upright+bass"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...hl=upright+bass[/url]

Enjoy!

Dara

Now SOLD: It went to the very nice Daniel Acheson from N.Ireland, hope he gets as much out of it as i did.

Edited by stewartmusic

[quote name='Duckyincarnate' post='841779' date='May 19 2010, 10:08 AM']Looks like a nice starter bass. However, I think it isn't German. Probably from one of the Eastern European countries, such as Bulgaria, Romania or the Czech Republic.[/quote]

Thanks for that, I'm not sure myself! I just stated as my valuer has told me to :)

It is very possible that it is from one of the eastern European countries, ill let you know if I find out any more.

I know I am slightly biased because im selling the bass but you are exactly right, It is perfect as a starter/intermediate bass.

Thanks, Dara

• 2 weeks later...

behind the numbers Thomann you can find the following system:

111 and Rockabilly basses: Chinese laminated basses.
1/2/3/4/5 basses built in Czech Republic. (strunal)
11/22/33/44 basses built in Romania (i think hora)

1/11/111 laminated basses
2/22 laminated basses with carved top
3/33 carved basses with flat back
4/44 carved basses with swelled back
5 carved basses with swelled back and flames

E is for ebony fingerboard
W is for "washed finish" (looks somewhat antique)

All basses 2/22/3/33/4/44/5 offer an ebony fingerboard"

[quote name='Duckyincarnate' post='853447' date='Jun 1 2010, 11:40 AM']I am sure the seller will chime in but keep in mind it has a gigbag, new strings, an adjustable bridge and set-up work done, which easily puts you in the bracket of the asking price.[/quote]

Unfortunately, that's not how the market for used, recently-manufactured basses works. IMHO (which might not be welcome), £1,200 is considerably more than the seller is going to be able to get for this bass.

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='dlloyd' post='853467' date='Jun 1 2010, 12:01 PM']Unfortunately, that's not how the market for used, recently-manufactured basses works.[/quote]

I am not shopping for a bass at the moment, just trying to put things into perspective for those who might be lurking first-time buyers. £850 for a brand new bass isn't quite the end of the story.

Edited by Duckyincarnate

yes completely agree they add value but probably not a huge amount - I always go with the 2/3 rule of thumb when selling new bought stuff for the first time, you get 2/3 of what you paid for it, added extras are difficult though as people tend to see the case etc as something they should be getting for free which obviously isn't the <cough> case.

I'll be in the market for an acoustic probably in a month or two and things like an adjustable bridge are definitely something I'll be on the look out for - to be honest these are things that make the bass more appealing rather that hugely more valuable - fact is I'll probably end up getting it set up anyway.

Just comes back to the old argument of do you spend your money on a new bass or an old one - I still don't know; I guess if you aim to keep it for 25 years then it doesn't matter but if you're selling it after 3 then a decent secondhand one is the way to go.

Anyway, apologies for hi-jacking the thread and apologies for the brutal honesty about the price!- these Basses have a good reputation especially the 22's and 33's and if this one has been professionally set up I bet it's a corker - price depends on what people wnat to spend I suppose but I reckon probably around the £700-£800 mark is where you need to be aiming - or hang onto it for a few more years! If it's still around at the end of Aug I might give you a shout although I have my beady eye on a 1960's B&H as well!