Why become a member? ×

hearing myself better!

rmshaw37

hi there, i LOVE my rig

its a gene simmons punisher (no hating please, i just thought the active emgs might have an affect on cab selection)
sansamp rpm
genz benz shuttle 6 (only use the power section, sansamp is the pre and DI)
ampeg 115e

i absolutely adore the 115 tone, it has all the lows that the big 410hlf and 810 DO NOT HAVE TO MY EARS!!
plus the slight click to distinguish notes, plus the gorgeous 2k boost that i love and defines my sound!

when i play the smaller gigs, i cant hear myself without turning WAY up (much the the disapproval of the guitar player) i think this may be due
to standing close to the cab, and theres not always the ability to stick the cab next to my ear.
ideally i want another cab to stick on top of it, so i can hear myself as evenly as possibly wherever i stand on the non monitor gigs!

i have tried in ears, and besides them not staying in due to sweat and headbanging, it totally removes the atmosphere and essentially everything we love about playing live!!

should i be going for a 210? another 115? a wedge monitor powered by my amp in front of me? any advice greatly appreciated!!

plus i have a warwick infinity nt5 for sale (mint condition, just dont get on with it live and wasted in my bedroom) any offers, contact me on [email protected]

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='840251' date='May 17 2010, 09:49 PM']....i have tried in ears, and besides them not staying in due to sweat and headbanging, it totally removes the atmosphere and essentially everything we love about playing live!!....[/quote]
If you're young enough to enjoy headbanging then you're too young to be suffering from self induced hearing loss. But it [i]will[/i] happen. Be careful.

I'd go for the punch of 10's. 2 Ampeg 15's would not have enough definition for me.

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='840251' date='May 17 2010, 09:49 PM']hi there, i LOVE my rig

its a gene simmons punisher (no hating please, i just thought the active emgs might have an affect on cab selection)
sansamp rpm
genz benz shuttle 6 (only use the power section, sansamp is the pre and DI)
ampeg 115e

i absolutely adore the 115 tone, it has all the lows that the big 410hlf and 810 DO NOT HAVE TO MY EARS!!
plus the slight click to distinguish notes, plus the gorgeous 2k boost that i love and defines my sound!

when i play the smaller gigs, i cant hear myself without turning WAY up (much the the disapproval of the guitar player) i think this may be due
to standing close to the cab, and theres not always the ability to stick the cab next to my ear.
ideally i want another cab to stick on top of it, so i can hear myself as evenly as possibly wherever i stand on the non monitor gigs![/quote]

It may be that you've got too much boom going on low down for the smaller gigs which means when you turn up enough to hear the mids (where the definition is) you get waaay too much low end for the space you're in. In which case I'd say a tight, punchy little 2x10". Think about whether the tone you love sounds best in the mix or in isolation, pay particular attention to the bottom end. If it's great in the mix, then get an identical cab to what you've got already as Mr Foxen has said.