Why become a member? ×

Mbox mini vx Mbox 2

Toasted

I want to seperately record myself and my guitarist and then mix the two " instrument tracks" together and output them as a single MP3 to send to the drummer and vocalist so they can hear and comment on them.

We can all also use the MP3s as a practice tool.

Mbox seems to be decent hardware and Pro Tools is the definitive recording software, right?

Is there a good reason Mbox 2 worth another £50 over Mbox Micro, or for my application will micro be enough?

Cheers,

Joe.

Hey Toasted

The Micro if you look doesn't have any inputs. Its simply an output sound card (a pro tools requires Digi Hardware at all time).

Pro tools is, IMHO, the king for major audio editing and mixing, but for what you are doing maybe something like this would be better suited:

[url="http://www.dvguitars.com/invt/24334/"]http://www.dvguitars.com/invt/24334/[/url]

Comes with cubase LE.

BTW, pro tools LE is the same whether you get the micro or their higher end 003 so the software isn't any more slimmed.

G

Hi Garry, thank you for your input I appreciate it very much.

I'm getting mixed up in my nomenclature - I ment mini. This one:

What benefit would I get from the Presonus/cubase over the Mbox/protools? I assume you'll say that Cubase is quite simple and protools is way too complex for a causal user?

:)

M-Powered is the same as LE. But it works only on M-Audio cards (selected ones) and not with the M-Boxes or 002/003 stuff.

Its good but a kinda expensive compared with the M-Box's (it used to be the only portable option when digi only had the one low spec M-Box which i why i went down that avenue)

The presonus is just well spec'd IMHO. It has 2 mic inputs (and 6 outputs - handy for using outboard) over the Mini's one mic/one line inputs (with stereo out). It comes with Cubase LE (as the mini comes with PTS Le) and is a little cheaper. Personally pro tools is awesome but a bit of a monster to learn. Cubase is easier to get going with quickly.

i don't think you will be disapointed with either but one mic input will become very restrictive very quickly.

Cheers

Garry

Ive just bought an apogee duet, which is a 2 in 2 out, like the mbox, but the quality of the converters is amazing, if you have heard of apogee you will know, personally i would get one of these with logic 8 (if your a student its 118 quid!!) i had an mbox2, the quality was flaky, build and sound wise and logic will get you a more complete stand alone package, stu