Why become a member? ×

Condenser mic to amp using...?

Robin UK

Hey,

I recently bought a pair of quite nice condenser mic's for recording and was trying them out on my double through a PA and loved the pure tone. What would/do you guys use between a concdencer mic and your amp (if you do this) to give it phantom power and adjust gain. Just a preamp? do these have gain feautres? I've got an 8 channel desk, but that seems a bit overkill just for the phanotom power and gain features. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robin

Edited by Robin UK

Some amps provide phantom power - my Clarus does. But if you go through backline you are running a high risk of feedback. I have a DPA 4099 and find that if I use a Headway preamp (which also provides PP) it cuts the feedback down to a workable level. Mic to FOH is the ideal though. Headway is approx £200 and I doubt whether you'll find one in the 'for sales' they are that good.

[quote name='bassace' post='836882' date='May 14 2010, 09:22 AM']Some amps provide phantom power - my Clarus does. But if you go through backline you are running a high risk of feedback. I have a DPA 4099 and find that if I use a Headway preamp (which also provides PP) it cuts the feedback down to a workable level. Mic to FOH is the ideal though. Headway is approx £200 and I doubt whether you'll find one in the 'for sales' they are that good.[/quote]

I agree on the Headway, its a very good option for its size/price etc. I may even be selling mine if you were curious. Gone the way of mic and FMR preamp and need to sell sell sell...

[quote name='Greydad' post='837037' date='May 14 2010, 11:48 AM']Which mic are you using greg? I see you're selling a couple so you must have a favourite one you're keeping :) unless it's secret squirrel of course...[/quote]

Neil,

Get the ATM450! Its very very good for that price. Im only selling it to pay for ££££ Schoeps mic....
Come over and check it out.

[quote name='gcordez' post='837086' date='May 14 2010, 12:50 PM']Neil,

Get the ATM450! Its very very good for that price. Im only selling it to pay for ££££ Schoeps mic....
Come over and check it out.[/quote]

Nice try - you must think I'm some sort of infinite money supply :)

Tried out the Realist properly last night through a house PA as it happens and general opinion from the sound guy and other folks was it was a great sound. Sound guy wanted a bit more mids though so I'll take the Plat Pro next time and see if I can noodle it a bit.

No chance to get over this week sorry but I'll try next week - no hard sell on the mics mind...