Why become a member? ×

Sale or Swap - 1987 G&L Asat Special

Hello good people of BC!
I have a G&L Asat Special in Butterscotch blonde/yellow with black hardware from 1987 (at least that's what I can work out from the serial #). It's a 3 bolt neck guitar, has an "Asat by Leo Fender" logo, the old-school U shaped string retainer and what I think is a single ply, anodised black aluminium pickguard (original of course!). Thin neck with rosewood fingerboard and I'm pretty sure an ash body too. The finish is nitro and is wearing off around the forearm position and along the back of the neck but there are no dents or dings to speak of and the wear is commensurate with regular use I reckon.

I will take pics in the morning but I've been thinking of parting with this while I have been away for the last week - the tone is MEGA, does thicker and fatter and twangy much better than any Tele I've played. My preference is for a thicker neck to get my sausage fingers around and possibly going back to a set of humbuckers. The original case is included but has seen very many better days and is missing two catches and most of the underside through a lot of use. I've not used it since I've had it and had transferred the guitar to another case - the guitar will be sold with the original case.

I would be looking for around £850 - I would consider a trade deal for a hard tail PRS (preferably a Mira or Starla or possibly a CU22), maybe some kind of Gibson (not an LP Studio, faded anything, Special anything or Melody Maker) or a USA Tele with a chunkier neck (but no solid colours). It works so well in the Mr Plow band, I am probably not doing the right thing by selling it, but I could do with something a bit more versatile for the covers outfit.
If there are any builders out there that would be able to put together a custom guitar to a very strict specification and would take the G&L as payment, drop me a line also.
Ta

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='833754' date='May 10 2010, 11:03 PM']Hello good people of BC!
I have a G&L Asat Special in Butterscotch blonde/yellow with black hardware from 1987 (at least that's what I can work out from the serial #). It's a 3 bolt neck guitar, has an "Asat by Leo Fender" logo, the old-school U shaped string retainer and what I think is a single ply, anodised black aluminium pickguard (original of course!). Thin neck with rosewood fingerboard and I'm pretty sure an ash body too. The finish is nitro and is wearing off around the forearm position and along the back of the neck but there are no dents or dings to speak of and the wear is commensurate with regular use I reckon.

I will take pics in the morning but I've been thinking of parting with this while I have been away for the last week - the tone is MEGA, does thicker and fatter and twangy much better than any Tele I've played. My preference is for a thicker neck to get my sausage fingers around and possibly going back to a set of humbuckers. The original case is included but has seen very many better days and is missing two catches and most of the underside through a lot of use. I've not used it since I've had it and had transferred the guitar to another case - the guitar will be sold with the original case.

I would be looking for around £850 - I would consider a trade deal for a hard tail PRS (preferably a Mira or Starla or possibly a CU22), maybe some kind of Gibson (not an LP Studio, faded anything, Special anything or Melody Maker) or a USA Tele with a chunkier neck (but no solid colours). It works so well in the Mr Plow band, I am probably not doing the right thing by selling it, but I could do with something a bit more versatile for the covers outfit.
If there are any builders out there that would be able to put together a custom guitar to a very strict specification and would take the G&L as payment, drop me a line also.
Ta[/quote]

Any pics?

Would you be interested in a Heritage H150CM 'Les Paul' as a trade? Neck is more like the slimmer 60s profile that the baseball bat 58s.

sorry to hijack the thread,but I just got a black USA Asat Special on Sunday. Not vintage like this one but still very,very lovely indeed. I've found in the limited time I've had it the MFD pickups are somewhere between a regular single coil and a P90 and sound absolutely top drawer. I was initially after a Classic but I'm glad I got the Special instead - better (stronger) tone and more variation imo. definetely a keeper!

this one looks a seriously nice guitar. best of luck with the sale/trade

• 2 months later...

Cheers DJ - I'd kind of made the decision to hold onto it as the pickups are so good, it makes it just about the best sounding electric guitar I've ever played.
Alas, I played an AVRI 52 Tele up in Guitar Guitar in Newcastle on Monday and it was so good and so playable, I really want one and the G&L has to go on the block to fund it.

Of course if anybody happens to have an AVRI 52 Tele they'd like to swap :)