Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can I Put a 34" Neck on a 3/4 size body?

Chris2202

I guess it depends on how long the 3/4 size body is. Remember you'll need to move the entire bridge back so that the distance from the bridge to the 12th fret, is the same as the distance between the nut and the 12th fret on the new neck. Otherwise you will never be able to set the intonation up properly.

As Daquifsta said, you will have to move the bridge back a certain amount to keep the scale length constant. I checked my Precision and if you have approx. 12" between the neck pocket and bottom of the body there SHOULD be enough room to do it. I would guess that there won't be enough room on a 3/4-size Fender-style body though.

You have a better chance of this working if you use a 24-fret neck - the extra frets effectively make the 12th fret position further away from the neck/body join, which will give you 5 or 6 more cm to play with for your bridge positioning. The downside of this is (if it works) the likelihood of a very neck-heavy instrument.

Whatever you do, measure up carefully before you start buying parts or trying to put stuff together!

Jon.

hmmm okie heres a link to the guitar.. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250623478709&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url]
would i be able to do it? and also had a word with my friend at school and he recons i would be able to do it, just wondered if he was right? :)

Edited by Chris2202

Seeing the encore you linked to you cant move the bridge any further so would need some sort of custom neck that would make a nut to bridge length of 34". i dont think you could just find any old neck that would fit and acheive a scale length of 34".

Can i ask why you want to do this? If its to save money i think you would be better off buying a cheapo bass than doing this.

A standard 20-fret Fender-type neck won't work on that body - there isn't room to reposition the bridge any further back than where it is now. I'd be dubious about a 24-fret neck working either, assuming you could find one with a compatible heel.

If the project's just to build a small-bodied bass, you might be better off picking up a cheap P or J body & getting busy with a saw!

J.